Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 GIII, Help with broken/l... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canonet QL17 GIII, Help with broken/loose shutter speed ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

T_merc
Tinkerer
Username: T_merc

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just inherited my dad's canonet. This was working properly the last time I saw it about 3 years ago. Now, though the shutter speed ring seems broken. It moves from 500 to 30 loosely (without the click/shift from speed to speed). The shutter acts as if it is stuck in B (opens on down-press, closes on release). To get the shutter blades to move, I had to first remove the rear lens element and apply lighter fluid (Thanks to the instructions on this site. And for others looking to do this without specialized tools, what worked for me was a small pair of sharp scissors). Any hints as to what might be wrong here? Is this the symptom of some gear being broken?. I hope this can be fixed because otherwise the camera is in great shape and the new light seals I put in 3 years ago seem fine too. Thanks.

T. Merc

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nine times out of ten if camera worked three years ago and now doesn't it's grease that has dried up. But in your case it might be the speed cam that got loose. If it lifts a bit off the shutter face, it will loose detents and might not hold the control pins for speeds and B in place. Without this cam engaged, shutter 'defaults' to B.
(That's assuming I remember right, that Canonet has Copal central shutter)
Marek

Qazplm
Tinkerer
Username: Qazplm

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have this exact problem: the shutter fires just fine, except that it's acting like it's stuck in B. The shutter speed ring slides easily between 500 and 30, stopping at 30. Is it very difficult (or even possible) to get the speed cam back in place?

I'd really love to get my Canonet in working order, if at all possible : )

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The canonet repair manual is in the 'Instruction Manuals' section of this website (fourth button in the header above).

Opening the Canonet lens from the front is a bit tricky but it worked fine for a shutter cleaning in my case.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration