Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta srt 101 infinity focus throug... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta srt 101 infinity focus through viewfinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer
Username: Djamorpheus

Post Number: 33

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my minolta srt 101 when looking through the viewfinder the lens focuses past infinity by quite a bit, but checking at film plane, infinity is in focus. I was doing some repairs to the viewfinder block could i have put the fresnel and condenser glass in the wrong direction?

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 56

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Infinity setting is position, where the lens is closest to film plane. If your focusing surface is somehow closer to the lens now, than it was before, infinity focus will be achieved before the infinity mark is reached.
Since SLR cameras often have the focusing screen with matte side up, flipping one during assembly will render exactly the situation described above.
I see however no way for a misaligned condenser above the focusing scree to cause mis-focus, unless you check focus on wedge only and not on the matte screen.

Marek

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've double checked and the fresnel is all correct.
Like i said before i checked focus on film plane at infinity and it was fine, but when you look through the viewfinder its really fuzzy at infinity but at 3 meters on the distance scale on the lens, its in focus in the viewfinder.

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nevermind, i fixed it :-)

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, what was it?
M.

Djamorpheus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 04:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well at one point when i started disassembling the camera, which was a while ago, i forgot that i attempted to unscrew the viewfinder block. The screws that hold the viewfinder block at a certain height away from the mirror were not in the proper position causing the infinity focus to be off in the viewfinder. Silly mistake.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration