Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing shutter speed dial from Mami... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Removing shutter speed dial from Mamiya 500 TL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matryoshka
Tinkerer
Username: Matryoshka

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought this camera at a garage sale for five dollars, under the assumption that any dirt i spotted in the shot could just be cleaned off the lense. turns out it wasn't on the lense, or for that matter on the mirror. it's definitely above the fresnel. i'd like to clean it, and although i don't know much about cameras, i figure once i remove the top cover i'll have access to the prism box. and i can't remove the cover until i remove this dial. it's starting to feel impossible!!! any advice would be much appreciated, except for the kind telling me to just give up. thanks :-)

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 220

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the TL is like the DTL (and it seems to be), then there are specific directions on how to remove the speed dial on this page:

http://www.herron.50megs.com/topPlate.htm

Matryoshka
Tinkerer
Username: Matryoshka

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the link! unfortunately i've already visited that page, to no avail. i followed the directions very carefully, but all the detail it gave me apart from changing the settings on the dial (which i did) was to "lift off the shutter speed dial."

sadly, it didn not just "lift off." resistance-wise, nothing had changed. perhaps if the directions had said "pry it off," i would have been willing to take it further. but it really felt as if it were ready to just break right off! ):

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 221

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dismantled a 1000 DTL for parts, and the directions given worked on that one, so any advice other than that is going to have to come from someone else. IIRC, once I got the grub screw out, the whole assembly just came off.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration