Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Welta Weltur - removing film cradles Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Welta Weltur - removing film cradles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 111

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to change the bellows in a Welta Weltur and it requires removing some screws from inside the film chambers to remove the rear frame. The film cradles are blocking access to the screws. Does anyone know how to remove the film cradles without damaging them?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does a film cradle look like, and what is the function? How many does your camera have?

I don't recall hearing that term before. You don't mean the take-up spool/spindle, do you?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 112

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean the pivoting holders the film spool lies in, and that then swing into the camera. This is a photo I took of the open back of a Welta Perle, with a damaged film cradle that I fixed: http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/art/Welta-Perle-before-III-83117272 They hold the film and they swing out of the camera, I suppose to make loading the film easier. They get in the way when doing repairs though and are held in place with pins that can not be removed. This is the repair I did on the Pearle: http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/art/Welta-Perle-step-10-87374145 and this is a photo of it installed in the camera: http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/art/Welta-Perle-step-12-87510781

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 96

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I understand. I have never seen those things before.

On an Agfa Ventura 6x6 folder I have, the "supply-side" has a sort of cradle-frame that not only swings up, but the upper and lower pegs can also be folded outwards on hinges to make it easy to get the spool in and out. The take-up side has no swinging or hinges, but the drive shaft (with the drive key) can be pushed up about 6mm, flush with the inside surface.

Looks like you're doing a very thorough restoration. I've also used JB-Weld on a few cameras...and for car repairs, too!

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 113

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the problem with the Weltur is that I have to remove four screws to get the rear frame out, which sounds easy, but the stuff in the film chambers (film rollers and film cradles) blocks access to the screws. If I could get either the rollers or the cradles out of the way, it would be easy, but I don't see how to get them out of there without damaging anything.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, that Welta Pearle was done a couple of years ago: http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/art/Welta-Perle-DONE-87511128 It was easy to get the roller out of the Pearle, since the pins that hold it in had broken off (it just fell out). The Weltur, on the other hand, isn't broken and I'd like to keep it that way. Either the cradles or the rollers have to come out though. I figured the cradles might be easier

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 98

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, as I'm sure you have seen already, many of these cameras were not designed to be repair-able.

They were simply designed to be inexpensive and to last for a few years. Which is why they used rivets in many places instead of screws.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 115

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, there were certainly less expensive cameras that could be had. The Welta folding rangefinders were not really in that class of cameras though. Welturs were certainly not inexpensive!

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 99

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, believe me, I didn't mean to insult you by implying that you use cheap cameras!

Not that there's anything wrong with using cheap cameras-- I enjoy using them, myself!

But yes, the Weltas and Weltis were certainly not in the cheapest category, but almost all of the manufacturers were competing on price to some extent, and this influenced design decisions, including the features you mention.

Generally speaking, the more expensive cameras were also the most repair-able. You can actually dismantle them completely without having to break anything, bend any metal seams, or drill out any rivets.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 119

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, many of the better Weltas used screws instead of rivets, and this is one of them, but they put them in the damnedest places. I figure they must have used some kind of offset screwdrivers to get them in there. Maybe that's my answer.

Yes, Welta's budget line of cameras (the Pearle, Garant, and Trio) used rivets, but most of the Weltas were considered very high-end cameras and their construction reflects that. Some other companies used rivets on ALL of their folding cameras, even the most expensive; it was just easier for them. Voigtlander even went a step further -- all their Bessa RF bellows are simply glued to the front of the standard; the rear bellows flap is NOT sandwiched between metal plates, as it is in every other folder I know of.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration