Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

MINOLTA HI-MATIC 7 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » MINOLTA HI-MATIC 7 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tjc51
Tinkerer
Username: Tjc51

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta Hi-matic 7 in excellant shape. Everything works, including the light meter but the shutter won't open. After advancing the film, I can press the shutter and it sounds as though the shutter opens, but it doesn't. Is this a repair for a novice to attempt ?

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 95

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is not a difficult repair, and you don't even need special tools. Should take a half-hour or so. It is a very common problem with older cameras with between-the-lens metal-blade shutters. However, if you are afraid to dismantle the camera, then you won't be able to fix it. Get a small amount of naptha, and then search this site for advice on "shutter blade cleaning." It has been discussed MANY times. God luck.

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Basically, Scott is right. Sometimes, however, even this sort of repair is easier said than done.

Tjc51
Tinkerer
Username: Tjc51

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the help. I'll try to get the front lens assembly off and go from there.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 97

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, you seldom need to remove the whole lens assembly just to clean the blades. Removing the front lens group gives you access to the blades.

I fixed a Hi-Matic 7 some years ago, but I don't recall whether or not you can get the rear group out without taking the shutter off of the body.

It's possible to do the job without removing the rear group, but it's better if you can take it out. If you can't, then use naptha sparingly, so that it does not drip onto the rear group.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration