Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Retina Reflex IV Top Plate Removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak Retina Reflex IV Top Plate Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dmcrite33
Tinkerer
Username: Dmcrite33

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would appreciate help on how to remove the top plate on a Kodak Retina Reflex IV. Thanks in advance...

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 80

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a while, but I will try to help.
The first screw is the obvious one on the left side of the camera (looking from the front).
If you pull up the re-wind knob, there are two more screws in there.
You will also have to remove the rewind knob in the usual way...place a screwdriver in the slot for the film spool and un-screw the top of the knob by hand. Be careful, there is are lots of plastic pieces to break.
I think you have to remove the small pin screw on the top of the camera beside the re-wind knob, but you may want to leave it until last and see if the top comes off with it in place. (you don't want to risk scratches if not necessary).
The last piece to remove is the small, circular switch on the back below the film speed indicator. This threads off. I used the erasor on a pencil as a friction tool to remove it.
If you remove all of these fasteners, the top should come off. The trim around the light meter window is a seperate piece.
I don't recall any springs to go "boing" when you remove the top, but be careful anyway. There may be some loose pieces to fall out.
I hope this helps.

Dmcrite33
Tinkerer
Username: Dmcrite33

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info. I have removed the three screws you mentioned, but not the pin screw or the circular switch which is the lock switch for adjusting ASA. My problem is that the ASA setting doesn't respond to change when pushing up on the lock switch screw and turning the wheel beneath the lens housing. I found that after removing the single screw on the left side and slightly pulling up on the top plate the ASA setting would respond to procedure. But there is something in a bind here and I think the only way to solve it is to remove the top plate and have a look. Thanks again...

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 306

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a service manual for this. Will scan it and put online as soon as possible.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1087

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some notes here for the III; I haven't worked on the IV but I think they would be pretty similar:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/repair/Retina_Reflex_III.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration