Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Precision screwdrivers Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Precision screwdrivers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 116

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if this is the right place for this, and if not, I'm sorry. I need to get a set of precision screwdrivers with longer than normal handles or shafts. Looking through the Micro-tools website, none of the ones I looked at mentioned length. Does anyone know of a brand/model with longer than normal shafts?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 226

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The obvious first question is: How much longer than normal are you looking for? My precision screwdrivers have handles 3" long, and shafts that are 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" long. Do you need longer than that?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 227

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An unfortunate follow-up. It seems the quality of my precision screwdriver set has gone downhill tremendously, so I can't recommend them by brand. As I said in another post, my set is rather old (20 years?), and seems to be quite different from what's sold today.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 117

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are about the size of the Starrett screwdrivers I am using now, and it seems to be about standard. Never mind though. I checked the Wiha screwdrivers and found that Micro-tools sells an extra-long set: https://www.micro-tools.com/store/images/items/zoom/26192.jpg This isn't *exactly* what I was looking for, and there isn't a great deal to choose from when it comes to sizes, but I can grind the tips, I suppose.

Mattboston
Tinkerer
Username: Mattboston

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Although Bergeon screwdrivers have been long considered the best, Horotec has been making better drivers recently (many think Bergeon quality has gone downhill- myself included). Bergeon, Horotec and AF are the three major brands (at least in the watchmaking world).

All of these drivers have replaceable blades- and if you want a truly good driver these days, you throw away the blades that come with the drivers and make your own out of a high quality drill stock. You can then make the blades any length and shape you like, and harden them to whatever level works for you.

I also have a set of brass rod I keep handy to make blades for working on visible screws when you absolutely should not scrape the finish off the screw.

Here is one source listing some drivers:

http://www.ofrei.com/page238.html

and plenty of sources for drill stock (mcmaster-carr, msc direct, small parts...)

Good luck,

Matt

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 118

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Matt.

I found an odd corner of the Micro-tools site where they had a set of long-handled Wiha screwdrivers and I've got an order in for those. Those will let me get a little better angle on those screws, but if that doesn't work, I'll try making a series of offset screwdrivers out of drill stock, as per your suggestion.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration