Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F-1n (2nd version) stuck film a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F-1n (2nd version) stuck film advance lever and shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Redscar
Tinkerer
Username: Redscar

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I just noticed recently that my F-1n 2nd version behaves erratically when shooting on 1/2000. The mirror sometimes gets stuck up after firing but goes down again when I crank the advance lever. This only happens when using 1/2000 setting.

Thinking that it just needs a bit of exercise, I fired it a couple of more times then boom! To my horror the advance lever just got stuck and the shutter won't fire.

Anyone here have encountered this problem?

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 210

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unmount the lens and see if the mirror is still locked up. If yes, are you able to release it (bring it down) manually (using your hand or toothpick like plastic thingy)? You might need to be firm, but also be careful.

Redscar
Tinkerer
Username: Redscar

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Aphototaker. The mirror only goes down half way on it's own. I can't crank the advance lever and can't fire the shutter because it's jammed. Should I force it down? Tried ever slightly pushing it down and it felt like it'll break if I force it.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 211

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the failure to wind is the expected behavior in this situation. Your mirror appears to be locked in the up position and hence the frame cannot be wound on.

I had a similar sounding problem with my Canon A-1. The mirror would lock up randomly. I then had to pull the mirror down manually. I used the little pocket clip on a ball point pen cap. Using that plastic stud, I could bring the mirror down with a little force and it would then snap down in its place.

After carefully looking at the mirror functioning in the aperture box, it appeared that the cause was probably the mirror lever sticking a bit (it is on the left side of the mirror box, the lever that drives the mirror up and down). I applied a tiny bit of oil (just a wet tip of a needle) on the hinge in the joint there and worked the mirror a few times. That solved the problem.

What made me identify the problem was a resistance that I could feel when I moved the mirror up and down (from its resting position). As I raised the mirror, I could feel something blocking its raising motion. It felt like a slight dedent, a click in the motion. After the lubrication, that was minimized and I haven't had a locked mirror since (a few rolls of films).

So this might be a possibility that you want to look in to.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration