Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic E Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Hi-Matic E « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 88

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before I ask.. yes I know this camera has many electronic gremlins, but it is in mint condition and I would like to get it working.
I have the camera dis-assembled and I have repaired some worn wires and inspected all of the connections, cleaned contacts etc. All seems OK. The test light works properly. However, the shutter will not fire. The electromagnet does not seem to want to hold the shutter open, even when in a bright light.
My question, before I re-assemble, is: Will the camera shutter work while dis-assembled, or is there a contact that I am missing somewhere? (the only wires not connected at this point are for the flash connection and flash selector switch).
What else can I test to trouble shoot? I am not an electronics expert, but I do have a camera for spare parts.

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have repaired many Hi-Matics. If you have power to the battery test then look at the connections and wires to the circuit board behind the lens. Minolta used acid based solder flux which eventually destroys the wires. Replace the wires and redo all the soldered connections. This will probably fix it.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 140

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is pretty similar to the F (sounds like it is) but not sure. All the problems I've ever seen with the Fs are electical contact problems. The shutter should work with the board out. On the F there is a slide switch which causes problems. To dismantle it you have to remove the metal frame of the switch by bending back some lugs under the board, then remove the frame. Is there a similar one on the E? Sorry I can't remember the details but I know that switch has caused me problems more than once and spraying cleaner in it has never been enough, I've always had to dismantle it.

You might have a faulty magnet. Have you checked the coil? Just a thought.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have since aquired yet another non-working HiMatic E.
I had to replace two wires to get it to operate properly (they operated the warning light). I am now just finishing-up replacing the lens assembly with one from the parts camera.
As far as the first camera was concerned, I checked the wires and they seem OK. I have replaced the magnet as well, but it still does not work. My next try will be to replace the capacitor (although it is not exactly he same as the one I will be replacing).
I will hopefully be able to get two working cameras out of three.
The contacts have been cleaned on both cameras. To access them you have to remove the self timer mechanism and the circuit board.
I don't know why I am going to so much trouble for this camera! I guess I just don't want to let it beat me.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I now have one working camera...that's good.
Before final assembly of the top, I want to check for focus to infinity and adjust the rangefinder.
I would normally use the techniques described on this forum to collimate the camera in question, but this HiMatic does not have a "bulb" setting.
Any ideas/tips to get the focus correct?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration