Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hello and help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Hello and help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Triumphil
Tinkerer
Username: Triumphil

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First hello from Sauk City Wisconsin. A great place to live. If your into living. Sauk city is known for Eagle watching once it gets cold out. It's good to have a real camera again. Something that takes some skill to use. I use to be a photographer in The Navy onboard an aircraft carrier. But that was back in the 80's. I have been getting in to shooting again with my digital camera. It lacks the feeling of well feeling. I just received a Minolta srT102. And am excited to use it. I would like some help fixing the light meter. The needle is stuck at the top. The battery is putting out the proper amount of Volts. I think it's like 1.34 volts. Can anybody help me out please?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 195

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a common fault with the SRT's and is rarely caused by corroded connections or broken wires, however the first place to look is under the base plate. Check the inside of the battery compartment for signs of corrosion and that the black wire is making good contact with the 'ring' and at the other end with the insulator stack. This stack of connectors is separated by compressed paper insulators and can give trouble, sometimes a wipe with lighter fluid is insufficient and you may have to undo the 2 screws and give the stack a good clean. Before doing that check that the wiper arm of the BC/on/off switch is making proper contact with the 2 terminals.
If all this checks out OK then the problem is almost certainly due to sticky rubber bumpers at either end of the meter needle travel. Minolta should have used ceramic ones! You will have to take off the top cover and remove the prism to access the meter movement. Not easy for a newbie, but there pointers in the archive. Use a toothpick to gently lift out the old foam rubber.

If you like the SRT's the 303 (202 in the States?) is the one to go for. Made during Minolta's golden age of the early 70's they have a great feel and silky smooth operation.

Teraforce88
Tinkerer
Username: Teraforce88

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 303 was known as the 102 in the states, which is what Triumphil already has. The 303b was known as the 202 in the states and is *almost* as good as the 102/303 (but not quite).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration