Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F2/ DP 1 meter/advice please Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F2/ DP 1 meter/advice please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera is clean. Everything works. I bought it several years ago in Sydney, Australia, for about $A250. The chap in the store said it had been traded in by a professor of something or other who had upgraded to digital. Yeah, I know.

However,after using F2s for years in the field, I think I can recognize a clean-skin. The serial number is "766 ..." The pressure plate shows some signs of wear, but not excessive. The shutter button retains the original matt surface. No shine. The self-timer lever exhibits signs of heavy wear on the leading edge. The bottom plate is marked, with signs of wear, mainly concentrated around the tripod socket.The brass lever that engages the lens mechanism retains its original width.

This quick examination of the camera leads me to believe that the chap in the camera store was not telling fibs.

I think this particular F2 has spent its life hopping on and off a tripod, or bracket. I doubt it has ever been fitted with a motor drive. The stainless-steel gear on the base of the camera exhibits no sign of wear. I suspect this camera has been used, probably in mirror-lock-up mode, then put aside to rest. This camera is lazy.

My quick question: It squeaks when the film advance lever is operated. Unfortunately, I no longer have any use for this camera in my work, but I really do not want it to die quietly of arthritis.

I'm toying with the idea of three drops of sewing-machine oil under the film advance lever. Then, work the camera in a warm place.

Would this be an act of madness?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 199

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't worked on an F2, but any squeak when the advance lever is operated leads me to suspect the first curtain brake is too tight, in this case probably caused by dirt. Check for shutter fade at 1/2000 sec, also with the mirror up activate the shutter at 1 sec and observe the leading edge of the second curtain, the 'bar' should disappear from view, (maybe 1-2 mm visible), but if it seems to stop short the brakes may require a clean.

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Gerry.

Will do, as you suggest. As I said, I used F2 Nikons in my work for years. They just keep going, ugly at times, but reliable. But this one is a baby.

Regards. Edward.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration