Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Compur Rapid shutter, bulb doesn't wo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Compur Rapid shutter, bulb doesn't work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 129

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cleaned it to death and relubed it and now the "B" setting doesn't work. Acts like another 1/50th second setting. What's wrong?

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with a SEIKOSHA-MXL shutter on Konica III!

Can't help you ...

Paul_c
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_c

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same problem with my Aires(same shutter). I took the shutter apart for cleaning and repair.It's all functioning exept for the B.

That makes three of us,:-)

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 321

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I give up. Put me on the list. Same for my Yashica D. Copal MXV.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably a misplaced spring. I'd suspect mispacement of the spring on the b-lever. Alternatively, improper lubrication that is causing the b-lever to not move properly.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 87

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look on the grooves of the top cam: the pin riding in the slit that has only one "step" at one very end is responsible for "B" setting. Either that lever is blocked, its spring is missing, or similar.

Marek

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 130

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mareklew,
I guess that's the problem. There is no pin sticking up there.

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 88

Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then either it got caught up under the faceplate cam, or you missed the part with the pin upon reassembly. This part is solely responsible for catching the shutter activating ring (or some part related to its movement) and preventing it from closing unless you let go of the shutter release, i.e. making B work as B.

Marek

Paul_c
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek,

Could You give me(us) a direction where to look for this pin riding in the slit?

regards, Paul

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 89

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

at 12 o'clock I'd say.
it is usually the cam close to release button/lever (not where the lever sticks out, but where it couples to the mechanics). But note, I have never disassembled a seikosha shutter.
Have a look here:
http://www.pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=copalmxv
This is Copal MXV (Daniel Mitchell's page), photos 2 and 3 show the cam and pin in question in a copal shutter, look at 12 o'clock.

This is Rolleicord's Compur, the cam in question is in lower left corner.

And the lever it interacts with:

(note, it is NOT the huge pin on the three-pronged element, but a flat bent lip slightly to the left of it):

Marek

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 40

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marek, so that would then be the lip as pointed to by the green arrow ?

B Lip Compur Rapid

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 90

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hans: likely.
Paul: On a second thought, and after having a look of your photo on a better screen, I'd say that the "B" cam is the part between 7 and 9 o'clock. "B" setting activated with the speed cam full CW.

Marek

Paul_c
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After the next roll of film I will take it apart again and give it a try.
There were several things that needed repair and the "B" not working was not a priority. First roll of film came out just fine with the rangefinder a little bitt off.I only had 1 second at the time to check for infinity with an other camera.Fixing the "B" is handy for rangefinder adjustment.
Thanks, Paul

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 94

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, a properly assembled Compur/Copal shutter without the faceplate cam should run as 1s+B, i.e. shutter closes after about 1 second (or about the longest shutter time, if it isn't 1 s) or after release of the trigger, whichever comes later.
If it isn't the case in your shutter, look for a problem (missing spring or a lever) before mounting the faceplate cam.

Marek

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 131

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About the original Compur Rapid in the first post: I found what I think is that pin. Someone must have REALLY tried to force a seriously jammed shutter, because it was bent. I straightened it and found its (hair) spring lying on top of the cocking spring; the shutter works properly again. Thanks for the help!

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 132

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, I misspoke in the first post -- bulb never did work in this camera.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 133

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hans: Yes, that's it. Push it to the right, hold the cam dial in place and cock and trip the shutter and you'll find you have your bulb setting again. There should be a fine hair spring under there that's attached somewhere a little more toward six-oclock; that spring should be engaged with a notch on the back of the pin in question.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 45

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good thing you got it fixed Charles !

The Rapid on my picture was the first i ever dismantled. Had the biggest problem when re-assembling trying to get that shutter tension ring rightly connected with everything else again.

For the ones interested i put up a photo set about dismanteling that Compur Rapid on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/sets/72157623380697478/

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 30

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a nice series of pics Hans,hope that I can remember where I found it if I ever need it for reference.Great work.Ron G

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration