Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon f2 Nikkormat FTn Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon f2 Nikkormat FTn « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco_abujamra
Tinkerer
Username: Marco_abujamra

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is without doubt the best site on analog, I have a Nikon F2 and a
Nikkomat FTN, with the same problem: the needle works with the photometer
surprises, impossible to use, thank you, and I am here in the provision
Brazil Marco
Note Translation by Google

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For advice on your F2 contact Mr. Sover Wong in U.K.

http://www.soverf2repair.webs.com/

Best regards,

/Clay

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1092

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marco: Translation of technical terms is always difficult, and I think Google is having a hard time with this one. A common problem in Nikons and Nikkormats is that the meter needle jumps wildly as you turn the aperture or shutter dial. This is usually fixed by cleaning a resistor in the meter. In the Nikkormat, this is located behind the lens mount - in the Nikon F and F2, it is in the prism. I have some notes for the Nikkormat and Nikon F, but not for the F2. If you would like the notes, please email me at [email protected] (my notes are for the Nikkormat FT, but the FTN is very similar)

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 302

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikkormat EL with the exact same problem - do you reckon the FT and EL are similar enough for them to apply?

Miel
Tinkerer
Username: Miel

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My impeccable NIKKORMAT FTn doesn't transport the film. Everything works smooth but the take up spool doesn't move. I would like to repair it - Help ! Thanks

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 303

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick has been in touch with me, and is happy for me to quote his advice to me:

"I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with the EL to know. It is a very different camera from the other Nikkormats, and I have never had one very far apart. I don't think any of my notes from the other cameras would be much use.

I just looked it up in Tomosy's "Camera Maintenance & Repair", and it is not very encouraging. I'll quote a couple of lines below:

"The Nikkormat EL is not an easy camera to work on. You may get into trouble if you dig too deeply inside."

"The Nikkormat EL has a recurring problem: If the light meter doesn't work or is intermittent ... suspect a cracked ASA resistor. The ASA resistor is printed onto a clear acrylic base. This is unfortunately quite brittle and will crack easily. You must replace the part - there is no way to repair it."

This part is located under the rewind knob at the top left corner of the camera. If there are any dents in that area, it could suggest damage to the resistor, and even if there aren't any signs of damage it could have stress cracked after this many years."

In short, if your EL meter is playing up, time to get the hand-held meter out!

Miel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick
I understand you are an expert on NIKKORMAT. Please allow me a question: My FT N doesn't transport the film - the take up spool doesn't move. Is there something I could do to repair it ? Thank you very much. Peter

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 43

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we are on the subject of EL Nikkormats, I have one that was working fine. I put a busted motor winder on it (thought it worked). When it didn't wind, I used the regular film advance lever in frustration. Then the wind lever seems to have disengaged or disconnected.

It now moves very smoothly with no resistance. I figured it may automatically disengage when the winder was attached as a safety feature or some such explanation but, even after removing the winder, the Nikkormat EL has not returned to normal. I did not force the advance at any time when the winder was attached nor did it feel/act any different advancing the lever than it usually did.

Any ideas on fixing this?

Miel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I would appreciate some advice on how to fix my NIKKORMAT ftn. It doesn't transport the film - the take up reel doesn't move. Any idea on how to fix this ? Thank you, Peter

Marco_abujamra
Tinkerer
Username: Marco_abujamra

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick Oleson, Nikkormat FTN repaired. (Needle intermittent) power cable in contact with the chassis of the camera, producing induction or "ground wire".
Thank you.
Marco.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration