Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Isola II Singlo-2 shutter running slo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Isola II Singlo-2 shutter running slow at 1/30 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Typhillips
Tinkerer
Username: Typhillips

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all -

I just picked up an Agfa Isola II for cheap (it should be - it's basically a glorified toy camera). Everything is functional, however the 1/30 speed of the simple 2 speed Singlo shutter is running a couple of stops slow, more like 1/8. For all I know, this is within spec, but I fear that this will kill the possibility of handheld shots at this speed so I'm hoping it can be sped up without too much hassle.

I currently have the shutter out of the camera, (although the rear element and lens board is still there). I'm debating what to do next. I'm only a moderately adventurous tinkerer, so I fear that a full shutter disassembly is likely to have tragic results. OTOH, the shutter seems quite simple compared to other leaf shutters I've seen.

The good news is that the shutter appears very clean and there doesn't seem to be any grit in there as far as I can see. I'm guessing the issue is just related to the old original lubricants thickening up a bit.

I've googled quite a bit and managed to find all kinds of information about leaf shutters in general, but no instructions for this exact shutter. I'm wondering if anyone has any more specific knowledge and can suggest some simple things to try first (such as cleaning off certain targeted points with Ronsonol?).

I am indebted to anyone who might be able to steer me in the right direction. :-)

Typhillips
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, a liberal application of Ronsonol in the shutter and 1/30 is behaving appropriately again. While I was at it I cleaned all of the lens elements and lubricated the shutter leaves with a tiny bit of graphite from a pencil. She's running great now!

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 95

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Graphite isn't a good idea: when some of it deposits on the lens, you will find out what light scattering is, the hard way :-)
Glad you managed to clean it.
Marek

Typhillips
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mareklew, thanks for the tip. I used such a miniscule amount that I hope it won't be a problem. I actually scribbled on a piece of cardboard, rubbed my pinky finger on it, and then rubbed that onto the blades.

Anyway, the worst case scenario is that I have to disassemble it again, which luckily I already know how to do.

Unfortunately I did make what I think is a significant gaffe, however, at least as far as future dissasembly goes. I reglued the outer ring on the front of the lens (which has the focus scale on it) with Pliobond. That was stupid. A few drops of superglue or maybe some spray adhesive would have probably have been a better choice. It's such thin metal that if I need to take it off again it will likely get damaged.

Live and learn..... on a cheapo camera, that is. :-)

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ruined a nice Hickock Dynamic Conductance tube tester by using superglue to fasten something inside the sealed meter movement and the fumes eroded the inside of it beyond repair.I am very careful these days where I use superglue.Ron G

Typhillips
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron, thanks for the input. I can't imagine anything being worse than the fumes from Pliobond, but in my case this is all on the outside of the camera so it won't be a problem.

I actually very rarely use superglue, mostly because I find that it just doesn't work all that well. Nothing beats good old epoxy when you really need a strong adhesive bond.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration