Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing sigma canon front element th... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Removing sigma canon front element that has no spanner holes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tookphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Tookphoto

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I recently purchased for £10 a Sigma 75-300 Canon FD lens. The front element has some fungus and I want to remove it but it hasn't any holes for a lens spanner. How do I remove it without going in from the back?

Agno3
Tinkerer
Username: Agno3

Post Number: 23

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most often the front ring is removed with a friction tool such as a rubber stopper or rubber ring.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 203

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with that particular lens but sometimes the front element(s) is secured by a retaining ring on the inside, you may see the retainer by looking into the lens at the edge. In that case look for some grub screws on the upper part of the barrel, slacken them off but don't unscrew completely. You may then be able to unscrew the whole front optical cell, usually a 3 element group.
Zooms are difficult to work on. Before unscrewing anything scribe the start positions. Also, there will be one or more brass shims in the front optical cell, these are critical in setting the infinity focus position.

Gyurmi
Tinkerer
Username: Gyurmi

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As the first attempt, I do what Agno3 said above. Unfortunately, on some lenses that ring (which often has the lens' particulars written on it) is so well and truly stuck, that this approach won't work. In that case one can try to ease it up with a few (and I mean few) drops of lighter fluid. When that still doesn't work, you can drill a couple of holes for the spanner tool. As a bit of warning, when I first did this, I made a real mess of it. However, the second time around it worked very nicely and the two holes look as if they were factory made.

If you are interested, here is my first attempt (near the bottom of the page):

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gpauka/foto/Restoration/CanonflexRP/index.html

Fungus? My god, I think nearly all my vintage lenses have them. It's really very disheartening to see how wide-spread this problem is. Be aware, that most type of fungi seldom clean off without a trace.

Here is some stuff on fungus:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gpauka/foto/LensProblems/index.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration