Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh XR-P won´t fire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ricoh XR-P won´t fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisman
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to the field of analog photoshooting. I bought a Ricoh XR-P. i inserted batteries, and everything in the display seems to be fine. BUT it does not fire. When I press the shutter there´s nothing.
In the display, there is a plus/minus symbol blinking on the top...I have no idea if this has something to do with the fact that it does not fire.
If anybody is having any idea what to do or eveb how to solve this problem I´d be happy for a reply!

Chrisman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, I figured something out... there´s a spring missing / loose. Can anyone tell me how to open the top cover of this camera?

Btgc
Tinkerer
Username: Btgc

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I saw your mail and reply here, as probably someone will drop into discussion.

I see you already have discovered spring which has come off one end. Probably you will be able to put it back just removing bottom cover, but I also peeled off leatherette around lens and took off plastic cover to have easy access (lens mount should not be removed).

Maybe this tech. note will provide some help, I looked through it. Seems you have different case than described but it is best technical note on XR-P I have seen. Good tips on removing top plate (if you are interested like I were).

Find where end of spring should be fastened (I had not digicam back then so no pics...and sketches, unfortunately) and make sure lacquer or nail polish has set well before assembling. Basically that's all I did plus cleaned/lubed winding mechanism under bottom plate because it's finicky - sometimes it didn't completed movement and left shutter not charged, that's all because ME feature.

Hope winding mechanism is OK on yours. The more I use mine the better it works. XR-P is a girl, she can't be left alone for too long time.

Chrisman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you! before I start removing the top, I want to make sure if there is no other way to put the spring in again. here´s a picture from where the screw was before, behind the plastic cover where I point with the screwdriver (it fell of completely, so I need to get it back in). I have no access to that from the bottom cover, I guess. Foto1
So I tried to get off the plastic cover around the lens, but it only came off on one side (left side...that´s when the spring fell out of the camera), the right side is stuck. On the other side there is the self-timer and two strange buttons which I havent figured out to losen up. (Picture 2)Foto2

If you have an idea how to get off the plastic cover from the lens I may be able to put the spring back in.

Thank you so much!

Btgc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That plastic cover is one I mentioned. Exposure lock button will come with cover, don't pinch it. Instead remove plastic plug from PC-contact and screw it out carefully like note says. Also carefully peel off leatherette around lens mount (both sides), there are little screws securing metal panel(-s), the one on side of lens release is enough. Self-timer button will come with plastic cover.

No top cover removal is needed to put spring back! Only front panel.

Chrisman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you - that was really helpful. Now that I was abel to open the camera I hoped to be able to see where the spring originally was. Unfortunately, I can not. :-(

If anybody has an idea where to put it I´d be more than happy if you´d let me know... spring position

Btgc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think mine had loose lower end (if camera sits on table normally, bottom down) of spring which is seen on your picture, right end near lens release button. I can not see well on that picture if there is spring on camera? Look for traces of semi-soft material used to fasten ends of spring on camera parts, they will show where spring used to be.

Chrisman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn it, I guess I am ruining it more and more... thank you for your help. But I fear it is "unrepairable"... :-(

Stylepkmk
Tinkerer
Username: Stylepkmk

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DEAR FRIENDS I NEED SOME PARTS OF XR-P CAMERA AND I DONT KNOW WHERE I WILL GET THEM FROM
FILM REWIND KNOWB IS BROKEN SPONGE SEAL OF THE BACK COVER IS DAMAGED AND BACK COVER LOCK IS BROKEN ALSO WHERE I CAN FIND THESE ITEMS FROM.
THANKS

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration