Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Infotech's camera-repair tutorials Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Infotech's camera-repair tutorials « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ahantsch
Tinkerer
Username: Ahantsch

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Infotech is a great source of camera-repair information. They distribute camera-repair manuals and articles that target the hobbyist, the collector, and even the professional who's searching for information on older cameras. The owners/operators of Infotech were directly involved in writing and illustrating the publications of National Camera, the school that fueled the camera-repair industry for many years.

Infotech web site also has several articles about camera-repair. You can read them at:

http://www.vintage-camera-repair.info/tutorials.htm

I highly recommend their general articles ("General Repair Tips" and "Cleaning Techniques"). They used to provide three more articles, not available right now due space limits ("Cleaning Optics", "Lubricating Camera Mechanisms" and "Testing Shutter Speeds"). The full articles are still available on the Web Archive Project at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060712063508/www.in-fotech.com/new_page_2.htm

These five articles are the best information I've read about this topic. IMHO every camera-repair person should read them in order to fully enjoy this hobby.

Alfredo.-

Hobbes
Tinkerer
Username: Hobbes

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About a week ago, I tried to order a couple of CDs from Infotech by following the instructions for an online order found on their website (i.e., send a PayPal payment with my order request).

I didn't get any confirmation email, so I emailed the address to which I sent the PayPal payment. The email bounced back. This morning I called the number on the website and found out that Infotech is no longer in business.

Apparently Larry Lyells (one of tech writers behind Infotech) died back in June. Here's an obituary I found online: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/denverpost/obituary.aspx?n=lawrence-c-lyells&pi d=143614427

Hopefully a new distributor will some day pick up these materials.

Rob

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 61

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Larry Lyells died ? That's indeed a loss ! I have several of his original LL service guides which are a pleasure to read and he must have been a very skilled camera technician.

Regards,
Hans

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 237

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry to hear of Larry Lyells' passing. The service guides he wrote for National Camera were the best in the business, fine examples of clear writing and explanation.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1114

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a shame. National Camera / Infotech were the very best.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh... what a shame. Infotech was a good source of service guides and were very nice to do business with. What a shame!

Lee
Tinkerer
Username: Lee

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm truly saddened. I met Larry Lyells way back in the National Camera days when I was a student there (circa 1980-81). He was a great guy, excellent tech writer and teacher. With his passing, an era has definitely come to an end. I hope Infotech or some other permutation returns because his work continues to have value and shouldn't be forgotten. If u come across any pieces by Lyells, they're worth preserving.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 143

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree Lee. I have several of his service guides and they are written with great knowledge and transparency to the readers and are also very popular here in Europe. Indeed a sad blow.

Lee
Tinkerer
Username: Lee

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If i had the resources, I'd attempt to purchase Infotech and bring it back online,as well as the the late, great John Craig's inventory, but alas, I can only dream. Oh well, on a totally different vector, I'm looking for a copy of an old Natcam course book, "Development of the Escapement Retard Shutter" Anybody got a copy to sell or know where I can get one, please let me know.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration