Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat LM problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Mat LM problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donyet
Tinkerer
Username: Donyet

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine gave me a couple of Yashica Mat cameras. One is a Yashica Mat that seems to be working well. The other is a Yashica Mat LM, and it seems to be having problems. When i cock the shutter and press the shutter release, nothing happens. The shutter does not trip. The shutter is not stuck in the open position, it is closed. I've tried all the speeds and nothing happens.

I was hoping someone that knows Yashica Mats would have an idea about what could be wrong with this camera. What are the symptoms of a seized shutter, and how do I get to the problem? Maybe someone had the shutter setting on M and tried the self-timer? My friend said it was probably last used in the late 60s.

Thanks,
Alex

Donnaj867
Tinkerer
Username: Donnaj867

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 102

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,
when you press the release, do you hear any 'click' from the shutter?
The shutter is an independent assy, built around the lens, it gets cocked by a lever driven from the film transport. Needless to say, if the shutter doesn't get cocked, it doesn't open. So check this first.
To do about anything about the shutter you will need to peel the leathering off from (at least) the camera face - try it around the corners, either it will peel easy and be flexible (good) or it will feel stiff and cracky (bad). Report on progress, I had my both Yashicas stripped down to bones and back.

Marek

Donyet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marek,

There is no click from the shutter when the I cock it. I have a couple of other Yashica-Mats that I use regularly so I am familiar with the outer workings. I guess it may be time to learn the inner workings of the camera as well.

Since the shutter does not even click, do you have any hypothesis on what may be wrong? I will have to open the side of the camera this evening and see if there is anything obvious that I can spot. From photos I have seen on the web, the inner workings seem pretty impressive. I will certainly venture in after I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

The good news is both cameras that my friend gave me have the same lens, the Yashinon f=80mm 1:3.5. The working one had a small chip on its' lens so I swapped in the lens from the non-functioning camera which was in perfect shape. So at least I have one camera that is in good condition that I can take out for a spin.

Thanks,
Alex

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 103

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. With yashicas you take the FRONT off first. There's not much to the shutter that you could diagnose from the side, that isn't obvious when you look from the front.

2. Lenses aren't identical, when you swap lens out you have to at least check focus accuracy.

Marek

Donyet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips Marek!

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 111

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 03:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a second note on swapping lenses: you will fare best if you swap both lenses (three optical groups) out at once: taking lens front & back and viewing lens.
In many cameras the lens pairs were matched for focal length, so that focusing accuracy over entire distance range can be satisfactorily achieved.
If you can't do this (making one out of two, one with damaged taking, the other with damaged viewing lens) adjust the focus at 2m (6 feet) and check infinity, rather than the other way around.

Also, do future repairmen a favor and write a note in permanent marker on the lens board, that these lenses were mix-matched, it will make future repairs and adjustments easier.

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration