Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Screwdrivers revisited... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Screwdrivers revisited... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 76

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of months ago, there was an interesting thread on screwdrivers in this group. I wasn't sure whether to resurrect that thread or start a new one. Anyway...
I work mainly on OLD cameras which often involves more woodworking than small mechanical repairs. Even the old shutters are often big and crude compared to the more modern classics more often discussed in this forum.
Not long ago, I picked up an old Kodak Enlarging Camera from early in the last century. It had a couple of fistfuls of heavily oxidized nickle plated fittings which pretty much required removal and a soak in vinegar before polishing. The old screws were often TIGHT in the century old wood, and the slots were often thinner than we're familiar with today. I was having trouble getting enough "ommph" with the tiny metal handles on my typical small screwdrivers, and kept falling back on an old wooden handled one of unknown origin... It not only had a thicker handle, but seemed to fit many of the old wood screws better than my modern set.
This led me to seek out more dinky old wooden handled screwdrivers of around three inch overall length, mainly on ebay, and I've been very happy using them. An added benefit is that many of the old wooden handles are so esthetically attractive that I've built a little rack above my bench for them. Looks kind of cool... :-)

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 185

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We'll have to believe you concerning the coolness of the look as there is, unfortunately, no picture.
But I agree with you that even the simplest wooden handle looks better than today's plastic grips.
I also made the experience on older cameras that screw heads often are not made for modern tools. Voigtländers often have screw heads with quite large diameters and narrow slots so that the screw drivers fitting the slot are too small to give enough torque.
Now I know what to add on my searching list when going to the flea market next time. Good hint! Thanks
Martin

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1094

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the larger sizes, the best screwdrivers you can get are the ones made for gunsmiths. These have the tips of the blades ground parallel rather than tapering, so that they do not cam out and bugger the screws - and they have nice big square-section wooden handles. They are not cheap, though! And I have seen imitations that look like them (and I think were being sold as 'gunsmith's screwdrivers') but do not have the parallel-ground blade tips.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 186

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the hint Rick. I fear those screwdrivers are difficult to find here in Austria but I will keep my eyes open now that I know what to look for.

Marty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 77

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish I could post pics... The restored Kodak Enlarging Camera would probably be more interesting than my rack of little screwdrivers. :-) For ten or eleven years, I used a webtv box. It had limited capabilities, but had the advantage of being SIMPLE. I have yet to figure out how to send or post pictures with this @#&% laptop. I've followed the instructions, but something isn't set up right or something. This probably has something to do with why I still shoot film too...
I DO have a set of gunsmith's screwdrivers, which I use on "guns." :-) The blades on mine are too thick for my old cameras, but I regrind conventional blades on a small wheel to achieve the hollow ground parallel tips. That helps with just about ANY straight bladed screwdriver.

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick is spot on with his recommendations. Camming out is the biggest problem. I ordered a set of JIS screwdrivers from Micro Tools which work just fine on the heads of camera screws (Japanese).

Zuikopath
Tinkerer
Username: Zuikopath

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also use a set of proper JIS screwdrivers and they are a superb fit into Japanese miniature crosshead screws.

Emtor
Tinkerer
Username: Emtor

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When fixing two old Rolleicords I also found the screwdrivers to be too thick so I ground mine down to fit the slots. I also made another discovery: Modern screwdrivers are magnetic. Not good when using them for poking around in shutter-units!

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 80

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find diamond sharpening "stones" indispensable for finishing up screwdrivers and good cutting tools. Ordinary stones get worn and lose their flatness where the diamond is on hardened metal so using a figure 8 pattern when honing I can get flat parallel surfaces.

Jay

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 138

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About the Voigtlander screws with long slots slim as razor blades: I believe you are talking about the one under the distance scale on a Voigtlander RF. If so, they also tend to be have shellac jamming the threads. You pretty much have to grind a screwdriver down very thin to get those out. The problem is, with a blade that thin, you usually can't apply enough tourque to break it free of the shellac. A ground down Craftsman screwdriver bent and a ground down Snap-on screwdriver broke -- twice. A ground down Stanly screwdriver held up though.

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Around here you can buy a pretty nice set of Stanley miniature screwdrivers at Walmart at a reasonable cost. I find them preferable to the hardware store all metal ones which vary widely in quality. The Moody are very good if you need the JIS type. And RJ cool tools is the best source for Moody I have found in the US.

Jay

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am wondering what one could do to soften the shellac? would heat: like holding a solder iron tip on the screw help ? heat works for most lock tight compounds but I don't know about shellac? alcohol would soften it but you can't get it to the thread.

Good luck
Jay

Marty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being the original poster in this thread, I think I may have finally figured out how to wrangle this laptop into posting a URL for a picture, so I'm going to make an attempt to show my rack of little screwdrivers...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052094/screwdriver%20rack%20001.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052094/screwdriver%20rack%20002.jpg

And this is the old Kodak Enlarging Camera that started the whole thing...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052094/Kodak%20Enlarging%20Camera.jpg

Sedgwic
Tinkerer
Username: Sedgwic

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marty, I think I'd spend many hours looking at the goodies in your workshop.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You and my Dad have a lot in common Marty when it comes to workshops. I on the other hand have not had a permanent spot to set up a decent abode, so this is what I use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7699588@N07/5060868650/in/set-72157625116229192/

It gets me by for now.

PF

Marty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 81

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fun to see this thread resurrected. :-) Anybody in the mood to read a long ramble about my screwdriver rack, shot through with some family history in a letter to my mother, can probably find it by googling "The Perfect Screwdriver Rack." I posted it awhile back in rec.woodworking.

Marty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 82

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Br1078lum, looks like you're off to a good start! My little room down in the basement has been evolving, deteriorating, and mutating for close to 35 years... Aside from old cameras, I've got a lot of old flashlights and memorabilia down there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration