Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vito B shutter stuck? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vito B shutter stuck? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently recieved an old vito B with the f2.8 Color-Skopar, the camera is in excellent condition except that when the film is loaded and advanced, depressing the shutter release results in a dissapointing dull click, with no corresonding opening of the leaf shutter. I took the top off and all appears to be okay (not an expert). Is this simply a potential issue with gummed up blades or is there possibly another issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 98

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the blades are gummed up.
The nice thing about this camera is that the blades are accessible through the back of the camera without removing any lens elements. Try 2 drops of lighter fluid on the blades. Let it soak for several minutes. I usually try to avoid firing the shutter too soon after applying the fluid. I find that if you wait, you can avoid the problem of spashing the inner lens elements and then having to clean them.
You may have to repeat the "flushing" several times before the blades move properly.
I hope you get the camera working. I have the same model, and besides looking great, the lens is really special.

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make sure that the synchronising lever is NOT set to V (green). This is the self-timer mode; because of the age of the camera and the weak governing spring, using this CAN cause the camera to stop working altogether. Just put the lever to the red or yellow position, and try again.

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all. I assume that when applying the lighter fluid, the camera should not be on it's lens, is that right. Is it fair to say the camera should be on its base at the time of application and then on it's back while it soaks in?

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay so here's an update with the stuck shutter.

Used a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the lens and almost immediately we the shutter began to work, on all speeds as well with pretty good accuracy.
As however the fuid began to dry up, so did the shutter operation. Repeated the above a couple of times and again success. It seems that as long as the blades are moist, Im in business (great as long as I'm into underwater photography).

Am I making progress with the above operation or is the fact that the issue keeps reappearing an indication that a CLA is in order.

I'd prefer to avoid the CLA as the speeds are all pretty good when operating so the tension appears to be good.

Any additional help would be appreciated
Thanks

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 100

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apply the lighter fluid a few more times and see what happens.
Also, after applying the fluid, give it plenty of time to evaporate. Even if the fluid appears dry on the visible parts of the blades, there may still be fluid not visible. The blades are meant to operate dry. A large amount of fluid may let the blades slip past each other, while a small amount may cause the blades to stick.
Let the blades dry for 24 hours or so.
It is possible that a simple flushing may not be enough for this camera. It may need some disassembly to clean the inner workings more thoroughly.

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, will try this and see what happens.
Just for my own understand, is the lighter fluid acting as a solvent? and if so, what is happening to the contaminant once the fluid evaporates? or is it simply moving it away from a crutial area and allowing it to lie somewhere less critical.
Thanks again

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 101

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lighter fluid is acting as a solvent on the old grease/oil that is present in the mechanism.
I imagine that over time and non-use, any original lubrication will "cake" around rotating and sliding components. The lighter fluid dissolves the old gunk and returns what lubrication is left to something like its original consistancy. Most moving components in shutters are meant to be very lightly lubricated (if at all), so washing away the old stuff is a good thing.
Sometimes, well meaning owners will also attempt to revive a slow shutter by applying oil. This results in the blades sticking. The lighter fluid should also take care of that.
The dissolved and washed away contaminents usually pose no problem, unless they get on the lens glass...then thay have to be cleaned off.

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK so 24 hrs has now passed (As recommended by Waynemel) and the shutter seems to be in good shape. Firing consistantly and damn near perfect on all speeds, incluing 1 sec, which seemed a little slow in the early stages. Thanks to all who contributed especially you Waynemel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration