Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Glued-in screws Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Glued-in screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donyet
Tinkerer
Username: Donyet

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to repair the shutter on a Yashica-Mat and the person who repaired it last glued the screws that hold the whole shutter assembly in with some sort of glue. They won't budge at all, and I'm in danger of stripping the heads on these brass screws. I've tried solvent, and I've tried heat from a soldering iron as someone who repaired aircraft instruments told me to do, but nothing has worked.

Does anyone know any other techniques? I really don't want to damage anything.

Thanks,
Alex

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 44

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try nail polish remover. If that doesn't work, try paint stripper.

Donyet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Finnegan,

The solvent I tried was MEK, which is nasty stuff and eats into many things. I will try acetone (nail polish remover) next like you say.

Thanks,
Alex

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 156

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing new about some camera and lens screws being locked with shellac at production level. Grind a screwdriver to be a precise fit in the screw-slot. And I mean exact and no compromises,
Trickle a little acetone on the locked screwheads. It will find its way into the most microscopic gaps but evaporates quickly so you must commit yourself to repeating every two or three minutes for about a half hour. Then leave overnight.

In the morning you should be able to break the stick of the screws provided you apply heavy axial pressure on your perfect fit screwdriver whilst seeking a snap release. However it needs experience to know what is the limit of reasonable untorque. Aged brass screws can be quite brittle and the heads may shear off. Better to repeat the acetone treatment for as many overnights as it takes. If you are patient, you'll get there.

There is another preparation which is valid in your particular instance - albeit that it otherwise has no place in a camera-repairmans's toolkit.
WD40 is sometimes an even better route than Acetone. It rather depends on just what locking sealant was used.

Best

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 791

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unlike many sealants/adhesives dried shellac is not broken down by alcohol or acetone, it is merely dissolved back into solution. This means that unless the repeated applications of solvent have completely flushed the shellac away or reduced the concentration sufficiently, leaving the screws to 'dry out' overnight runs the risk of the screws still being locked by dry shellac. Removing the screws whilst they are still wetted removes all possibility of that 'snap release'.

Are you sure that this camera has actually had the screws locked in with sealant/adhesive? Common brasses age by a process called dezincification - the loss of zinc at the molecular level, this will not only cause the brass to become brittle but also cause the screws to lock up because of corrosion products. Application of a drop of acetic acid/strong vinegar onto the screw-head will loosen the screw by dissolving the corrosion products.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 221

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If all else fails, undersized drill them out n chase the threads with a tap.

Donyet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I'm pretty sure they were glued in with some sort of shellac, as I can see the overflow around the heads. I haven't tried the acetone yet, but will try it soon. I did try WD40 on them as well but got nothing to budge. The strong vinegar idea is also worth a try. I just have to be patient.

Thanks,
Alex

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 222

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is shellac, alcohol is the diluant.

Donyet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, they finally loosened. I had used WD40 and then MEK and went on a business trip for 6 days and when I got back they were ready to go. Since I had used both I'm not sure which one worked.

Now on to my next question coming up on this forum. How do I repair the shutter itself.

Thanks for all the answers on the screw question.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration