Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica-Mat shutter problem . . . . Help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica-Mat shutter problem . . . . Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_feldman
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_feldman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi y'all,
I'm sure that someone here knows the answer to this interesting (read: perplexing) shutter problem on my new (to me)Yashica-Mat TLR.
Bulb setting works as it should. Cock shutter, depress and hold release, shutter stays open for as long as the release is depressed. All shutter speeds sound good to my ear - 1 sec to 1/500. Film exposures prove reasonable shutter accuracy.
But here's the rub: I know from owning a few of these beasties in the past that depressing the shutter release immediately opens the shutter, starts the shutter time, then closes the shutter - no matter how long you hold down the shutter release button at any set speed. My Mat will, upon depressing and holding down the release, open the shutter and hold it open for as long as I depress the button. Upon release of the button the shutter timer will activate as set and then close the shutter. At a 1 second set shutter time this is not a big problem. Just let go quickly. At any faster speed it adds up to much longer shutter speeds. f16 at 1/100 second becomes f16 at 1/100 PLUS however long it took me to depress and then release the shutter button - call it 1/8 - 1/4 second - additional exposure. Not good when you wanted 1/100 second only.
Here's the second rub: I can get around the problem by using the self timer. It works perfectly (X sync setting). My procedure is: Advance film, cock shutter, set shutter speed (1-1/500) engage self timer, depress and release shutter button, self timer starts and at the end of the timer the shutter opens and closes per the set speed. A little extra work but effective.
So, does anyone out there in MF land have a fix for this? I know how to open up and clean / lube this shutter. Can't see anything in there that looks bent, broken or loose.
Please send advice and/or pictures. Much appreciated.
~Steve

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 109

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a close look around the "B" lever and its cam. Your description sound like a B pin caught under the cam plate.
Also, a missing spring arund the release mechanics may be the culprit,have a close look there.
Sorry, I'm at work, no pics here ;)

Marek

Steve_feldman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marek,

Here's a digi pix of the shutter. Can you show me?
Thanks.

~SteveYashica-Mat Shutter

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 112

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "B" pin is at "10 min to 9 o'clock", it's on the lever fixed with a big headed, black screw (at 10 past 9), both very close to the lens screw mount (center). This lever moves only about 1-2mm. In position as per picture it will result in "B" exposure. When moved away from the lens barrel it should let shutter close instantly. If you try this without faceplate attached you will find the shutter running at ~1s + B in current position, or at 1s with the lever pulled away.
If the shutter runs at "B" even when this lever is away from shutter center, inspect closely that shutter region for missing springs, lose or sticky levers etc.

When attaching faceplate cam make sure the "B" lever rides clean it its groove - you can catch it under the faceplate and even possibly bend the pin down.

Marek

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Closeups of good assy:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7686/201003232102555610.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/258/201003232102485609.jpg

Here should the "B" pin ride - if you can't see "B" pin in this slot (like in this picture) then that's the reason for your shutter problem:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/250/201003222208245604.jpg

Marek

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you managed it, Steve?
Marek

Steve_feldman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek,

I'm going to dive into the shutter again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see what I've done wrong.
~Steve

Steve_feldman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - By following your directions from June 24th I have found the problem - - - and it was me. Yup, I didn't get the bulb pin in the faceplate slot sufficiently. I found that putting the bulb pin where is't supposed to go, placing the faceplate down and then making sure the the slider on the outside of the casing was indeed on the outside, would pop the bulb pin under the faceplate. So I tried it again with more enfasis (sp?) on maintaining the pin in it's slot during the buttoning up sequence.

All is well now. Thanks for your patience with me.
Regard,
~Steve

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 161

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to be of help!
Marek

Steve_feldman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW - How are you with Mamiya TLR lens cleaning? I've a black model 65mm. Any cleaning advice?
Thanks.
~Steve

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 165

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you mean cleaning optical surfaces then I avoid it as far as I can. They always end up worse than expected in my hands, so my policy is keep them clean, not make them clean and don't fuss as long as you can still count the dust particles.
It seems that all good cleaning stuff is either banned in germany or sold at a dollar per drop...

Sorry, not much help I'm afraid.

Marek

Steve_feldman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration