Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Z-1P / KAF2 aperture problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax Z-1P / KAF2 aperture problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rudz
Tinkerer
Username: Rudz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,
my Pentax Z-1P film camera has a problem:
when setting the lens to "A", automatic aperture, I should be able to select the aperture on the body. When I select 22 on the body for example it does not close all the way.
Selecting 22 on the lens is correctly detected by the body, and the aperture closes all the way.

I assume, it's a communication problem (from body to lens), but cannot find it so far. Does anyone have a repair manual for the Z-1P or a description of all the contact etc. of the KAF2 mount?

Any help highly appreciated!

Rudolf

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 92

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a little new for this forum, but here is a description of the layout of the electrical contacts for Pentax KA body/lens communication:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/K-mount/Ka.html

And here is the page specific to the KAF2 mount:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/K-mount/Kaf2.html

Possibly one of the contacts has gotten dirty.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 59

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the Pentax-A mount, control of the actual aperture when the lens is in the A setting is done by the camera, based on how far it moves the stop-down lever on the back of the lens. This remains the same on -F, -FA, and -DA lenses.

The lens has independent adjustments for the diameter of the diaphragm based on the f-stop set on the lens, and based on how far the stop-down lever is moved.

Every Pentax-A lens maintenance manual has a table with "stroke", "aperture", and "stop position". I don't understand the table fully, and I suspect it requires special jigs at least for the stop-down lever.

Also, try another Pentax-A lens. If that one stops down properly, this one has a lens calibration issue. If it doesn't, then the camera isn't moving it's own lever all the way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration