Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon S,rangefinder shutter curtain Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon S,rangefinder shutter curtain « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob_wells
Tinkerer
Username: Bob_wells

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have a nikon S rangefinder camera. open back look inside,see shutter cloth shutter curtains,look excellent as rest of camera. advance right top knob the film advance the appears 2 curtains connected,move sideways. fire shutter button and both curtains seem to move back original position. no photo taking possible. the second curtain is not being held back and timing out according to set shutter.because of curtain not held back,i guess timer not timing out. all speeds seem same. the 2nd curtain seems to have to be held back,now lens is exposed then set times would go off at set time,then curtain close,this not happening.can i fix this maybe a lever just needs cleaning loosening,dont know.have little rescorces to work with.my nikon F camera is set up same way.the 2 curtains seperate . is this a curtain problem or just the timer not working/

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1096

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like a problem with the #2 curtain release mechanism, located just below the shutter speed dial, rather than with the curtains themselves.

Bob_wells
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this a job myself just a do it yourselfer can get into or does this entail special tools skill etc. guess im trying to see if its something affordable.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 115

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will repost my answer to another question like yours:

It depends. My very first [repair] was on a Praktica, a few years ago. On the plus side, it was working afterwards, and was very accurate. On the downside, it looked awful, because I had no proper tools, and before I learned shortcuts leave marks it was too late. Since this Praktica was anyway a €3.50 write-off sold 'terminally broken, for parts', I had no bad feelings about learning on it. It might not be the case with your [...] camera.

There's no inherent magic in fixing cameras, but you have to assume, that the first one you will break first for sure and maybe will be able to fix it up after. You may be lucky, or talented, and be spared this step, but you have to assume you aren't and won't.

Marek

Bob_wells
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok thanks,im bringing it to a shop local for their opinion.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration