Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x-700 film advance lever brok... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta x-700 film advance lever broke off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maryvee
Tinkerer
Username: Maryvee

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SO, I bought a minolta x-700 from goodwill today, and the manual I found online said that after 30 degrees the film advance should have some resistance. Well, it was stuck and I put a little more pressure on it, and the lever broke. Well, it's a little more complicated than that.
The lever and rod that goes inside the camera are still intact, but the bottom of the little rod looks a little messed up, probably from where it twisted off.
The spring is still intact, and I tried to fix the lever, but it won't stay down, and doesn't have any resistance like it did.
So, basically because of that one idiot move, the whole camera is useless.
Is there ANY way that I can fix this, or is it dead forever? Seriously, I'm pretty heartbroken right now.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

99% you need a spare parts camera to get parts from.
Hard way of learning the old rule: NEVER force jammed camera...

Marek

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 329

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's an X-700. It was born useless. :-)

Teraforce88
Tinkerer
Username: Teraforce88

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

^^ A-HEM...
My mom's X-700 was what I learned photography on. It is by no means a useless camera. It may be a bit cheap and plastic-y (especially the later Chinese models), it may have reliability issues, but USELESS??? Hardly.

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a photo of the parts you need and I can probably find them as I have lots of Minolta Spares.
My email is [email protected].

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is Mr. Tom Cheshire knocking the Minolta X-700 ?
My experience with them has been good. Anybody else out there understand this ?

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Juliard 1; I have pondered the same question.
I have 21 Minoltas in my vast camera collection, two of which are X-700's. They have consistantly given good results. My Minolta collection starts with Konan 16 Automat (ever heard of that one?) and continues through an XE-7. I have had excellent reliability results with Minoltas.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 233

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The X-700 is easy to knock due to the well-known capacitor issue and the lack of a manual mode. I never had a problem with mine and I use it a lot.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration