Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica Summicron M 50/2 Lens - Re-Lub... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Leica Summicron M 50/2 Lens - Re-Lube Helical « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will_inoue
Tinkerer
Username: Will_inoue

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I am working on my 50mm/f2 Summicron M and have cleaned the haze off the internal optics. But now I want to finish by re-lubricating the helical focus threads.

How is the lens focus barrel disassembled? There is a spanner nut on the back. However I found on initial attempt to remove, it won't budge. I'm just wondering if this is the way in, and if so, are they generally this tight? Is it normal thread (ccw=loosen)? Thanks in advance.

Will_inoue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention this is a rigid version lens. Thanks again.

Will_inoue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok I figured it out. So I will share the procedure here for anyone else who may be interested.

Remove front lens assembly (glass) by grabbing firmly and rotating CCW. Remove inner plate with serial number (press fit). Remove infinity lock with small pin face wrench. Under the infinity lock is a screw. Remove. The knurled focus scale portion of the barrel will now lift off. Rotate lens focus so brass helical and bayonet mount are approximately flush and mark both with a tiny mark on bottom of lens. This will allow you to reassemble helical properly. This is a very important step - don't forget! Remove inner lens stop with two screws. Lens will now separate by turning helical. Clean well and re-lube including brass stop. Very little grease is required. Reassemble by reverse procedure. Helical will take trial and error, but once the helical and bayonet mount are flush and your marks lines up, you know you have it. Note: there is an idler portion of the focus that requires grease also but is held together by a spanner nut from behind. This nut was very tight on my lens (wouldn't budge) and fortunatley I didn't need to re-lube this as it was still nice and smooth. I hope this helps. -Will

Arttue
Tinkerer
Username: Arttue

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the instructions!

I have 5cm Summicron rigid with focusing problem (focused to infinity, the picture is sharp at 15 feet). I think the helicals need adjusting, and therefore I have started disassembling the lense.

I tried to follow your instructions but I got stuck.

I've done the following:
- removed the lens group
- removed C shaped brass part under the lens group
- removed infinity lock, and the screw it hides

Now, the next part would be removing the knurled focus scale portion of the barrel. Did I get this right: the upper part of the lens - the one with knurls and focus distance numbers is made of two parts and the gap of these two parts runs just above the focus distance numbers?

I tried pulling the upper part from the lower part but it seems to be stuck. I also tried twisting & pulling, but that didn't help. Am I doing it wrong or should I just use more force :-) ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration