Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkormat FTN Rust on shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikkormat FTN Rust on shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donstephens66
Tinkerer
Username: Donstephens66

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased an Nikkormat FTN on Ebay. The camera is in pretty good shape but has a few rust spots on the metal shutter. Does anyone know how to remove the rust and what kind of black paint should be used to touch up the shutter? I am new here and really appreciate the help! Thanks, Don

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 207

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the shutter is working OK I'd be inclined to leave well alone. Certainly don't apply any paint to the blades, it's sure to cause sticking, however you could try a fine tipped marker pen.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 797

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leave well alone and certainly do not let any paint near the blades. If you really must/want to treat the rust, then apply the smallest spot of phosphoric acid to each spot using a very fine brush and leave to dry. The acid will kill the rust and you need do nothing else. Note that you should only use phosphoric acid and not those commercial de-rusting products that are based on mixtures of acids and thickening agents - these usually need rinsing off, so not a good idea in a camera!

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 139

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To add to the advice:
Black on the shutter isn't paint, its chemical blackening of the blade material itself. It can be touched up if you 100% know what the blades are made of - rust suggests steel, but you don't know the exact alloy. In practice: let it be, no sharpie pens, no paint, nothing. Keep using it for some time and most likely rust will disappear giving way to shined places. It started rusting because friction worked the black coating off and exposed bare metal.

Marek

Donstephens66
Tinkerer
Username: Donstephens66

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your comments! They are very helpful. The rust is not too bad so I will leave it alone. I stumbled upon this site recently and could no believe my eyes. I will have many more questions in the future as I am becoming more involved in film cameras once again. Many thanks! Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration