Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Naphtha substitute Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Naphtha substitute « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 82

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I've found my usual sources of naphtha (tobacconist counters) telling me they no longer have cans of lighter fuel, for 'health and safety' reasons. What substitutes can I look for, for flushing purposes? Would 100% propanol do the trick?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 210

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the intended use is just for flushing I'd be inclined to use White Spirit. Wicks is the best place for cheap 2 litre bottles. It isn't as refined as lighter fluid so a final rinse with iso-propanol or the pressurized contact cleaner Maplin sells is advisable.

Paul_c
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_c

Post Number: 19

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could use Coleman fuel for a campingstove,look for this in a outdoorstore.

regards,

Alex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 83

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hadn't thought of either of these, so I'll give them a try. Many thanks.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 141

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should also go to the nearest chemist/drugstore/whatever it's called in your country, shop selling washing stuff, soaps etc. Pure white gas* is used for chemical stain removal. In Germany sold in 0.5L cans under the name "Waschbenzin" (washing gas).

Marek

* white gas = the liquid you are looking for, whatever the name.

Will_inoue
Tinkerer
Username: Will_inoue

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchase mine in a gallon can at my local Lowes home improvement store. (Paint department) Then I transfer it to smaller squeeze bottles. It's much cheaper this way also.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 803

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex has found that here in the UK 'Health and Safety' is a wonderful excuse for 'We cannot be bothered to stock that unpopular/slow selling line' Nowhere in the relevant UK packaging and storage or fire regulations is there anything that prevents a small shop stocking the standard small metal squeeze cans of Ronsanol.

When my local supermarket tried the same on their tobacco kiosk, I sent their head office copies of the relevant regulations, I also pointed out that they were stocking/selling far more hazardous chemicals/solvents on the household shelves. The kiosk now always has a small stock of cans, more than enough to satisfy my needs.

Unfortunately Regulations are increasingly needed in this modern world; however, this does not mean that people can interpret them for their own petty needs.

Alex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What was the name of your supermarket? I used to get my lighter fuel at the tobacco kiosk of a nearby Sainsbury's. I too thought it odd that they wouldn't sell on H&S grounds, given the irony that behind the lass were rows and rows of packets of cigarettes with big death warning stickers on visible from ninety paces.

The point about other hazardous substances on the shelves is well made. I can go to a supermarket and get a big bucket of sodium hydroxide, or ammonia, that old standby that used to be in the toolkit of every Post Office holdup villain.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 807

Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,

Morrison's is my usual supplier. Perhaps Sainsbury's should invested in a qualified H&S advisor - instead of that idiotic chef with the ever growing ego who seems to be permanently on my TV these days!

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to your local print shop and nicely ask for an ounce or two of press wash. Make sure that it is not the water miscible type(detergent or pine oil based). Standard printer's press wash is 100% pure naphtha. While you are there, ask if he has any methanol, 80% methanol/20% distilled water makes a nice lens-cleaning solution.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 134

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Camp stove fuel (white gasoline) and charcoal lighter fluid are naptha, and it is also sold in hardware stores as a paint and grease solvent. If you get the charcoal lighter fluid, check the ingredients and make sure it does not have paraffin dissolved into it.

Alex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, the reason I ran out of naphtha was that my son, who is a smoker (I'm not, spent too many years in cancer research to be that stupid), had been dipping in to my supplies to refill his lighter. After giving him the usual dressing down, I asked him to get me a replacement, and he got it -- from Morrisons. Still good to know about the alternatives and sources.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 810

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,

Ah! the son and heir culprit - know that one well, with me it's usually tools. Good job the lathe lives in the cellar - getting it down there would make the basis for a good TV documentary - or that would disappear on a 'can I borrow your XXXX for a couple of days?', never knew you could get so much into the boot of a Fiat 500!

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Will Inoue mentioned, it's available at hardware stores on this side of the Pond. I buy it in 1 qt. cans for about $6.

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 79

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I prefer low odor mineral spirits, it's much less volatile smells 100% better and yet cleans grease quite well,and does not damage plastics or cured paint.
If you must have Naphtha go to a hardware or home center and look for VPM Naphtha.

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's this stuff Naphtha called in Australia? I've tried to get Ronsonal, but no luck. Blank looks. I have a Nikon F2 and a couple of other cameras that require a squirt or two of something, but don't want to do any damage. Zippo lighter fluid is available, but I suspect it contains napalm or something nasty.

I do have access to a tame chemist.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 216

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used Zippo, it's ok and identical to the Shell lighter fluid I generally use.

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, thanks Gez.

Greyscale
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Edward, napalm is basically naphtha mixed with paraffin, as is Sterno. Paraffin is used to increase the surface tension of the naphtha in order to make it cling to surfaces so they can start on fire more easily. Cigarette lighter fluid doesn't contain paraffin, while most charcoal lighter fluids do.

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greyscale

My reference to napalm was meant as a joke. I had no idea I was so close to the mark! The word "napalm" is used around here as a generic term to describe something that is particularly nasty. Like the sauce sold by take-away chicken shops.

Cheers. Edward.

Greyscale
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Edward

Let this be a stern warning to you and all to never clean their cameras using naphtha by the light of a flickering candle. You wouldn't want that nice old F2 to go all Molotov on you, would you? ;-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration