Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Brownie 8mm movie camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Brownie 8mm movie camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zombola
Tinkerer
Username: Zombola

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I'm completley new to this.
My friends bought me a gorgeous vintage brownie 8mm movie camera for my birthday. 1 of the lenses is missing but two are still in tact. Aside from that it is very clean and looks to be in good nick.
I have wound it up and it still spins but not at a regular pace, it seems to slow down then speed back up.
I didn't want to open it up without knowing what I was doing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Ash

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 104

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of two things.

1) it has been sitting for years in a half wound up condition and the spring is now "set" so it slows down when it reaches some point(s) when running/unwinding. Nothing to do about that unless you want to install a new spring.

2) it needs a re-greasing. The inner works may run smoothly when the spring is all wound up but the old grease may provide too much resistance when the spring has used up most of its winding up energy. If the camera sort of vibrates or shakes at some points while running then the spring needs cleaning/regreasing also. The old grease sort of "dries" and becomes "sticky". Then the coils of spring stick to itself so, while in use and unwinding, the coils of spring suddenly "slips" past itself when, as it unwinds, it overcomes the sticky resistance of old grease causing the sudden "jump" or shake.

Zombola
Tinkerer
Username: Zombola

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Chiccolini,
Thanks very much for you reply. I just wound out up quite a way and it runs smoothly for about a 40 seconds and then the irregular timing kicks in, there is a deffinite judder when this happens and it starts to vibrate. I'd say its exactly what you have described about the old grease.
Could you tell me what kind of grease I could use? Also, is there anything I should know when taking it apart to re-grease?
Thanks very much
Ash

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 105

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took one of these apart in 1972 but, as you might guess, I don't remember anything about it. :-) Basically, I don't try to fix these because, as the technicians say, "economically unfeasible to repair" or it is not worth it.

Movie cameras use heavier grease than on regular cameras so some stuff like they use to grease car joints would probably work fine.

Brandonl
Tinkerer
Username: Brandonl

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could you tell me how to replace the spring? or at least how to access it?

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will find that the three turret model only has two lens glasses.The middle size one uses only the internal lens.
I cant remember if it was this model that I tried to strip down for the same problem with the spring,but after removing the film gate and all the screws,I could get no further.I do remember pouring lighter fluid between the inner plate and the outer body shell to flush out,or at least thin the old grease,and it worked.Do it with the lens upwards,or the muck will damage the gate and lenses.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration