Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Synchro_Compur Re-Assembly Query Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Synchro_Compur Re-Assembly Query « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brett
Tinkerer
Username: Brett

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoping to get some clarification, please, regarding the correct position of the pinion on the cocking ring of the Synchro-Compur shutter fitted to a Rolleicord V or Va.

Over the last few months I've managed to successfully clean the shutters of two V models and I am pleased to say they are both working well at all speeds. It's a confidence-inspiring result, when one is a beginner at camera repair. Having said that, I've noticed a discrepancy between the position of the pinion on the the rack of one of the cameras, and what the SC repair manual suggests.

I have attached a crop from one of the pictures I took when disassembling the first Rolleicord V to reach the shutter. In an uncocked state you can see that the first tooth of the pinion is not in mesh with the cocking rack. In effect it appears to have been preloaded. The SC repair manual suggests the first tooth of the pinion should engage the first slot in the rack.

Pinion Set on Cocking Rack

Can anyone shed any light on what may be going on here? Incorrect assembly, or has a previous repairer intentionally moved the pinion over a tooth to compensate, perhaps, for a weak main spring?

Although fairly new to camera repairs I do make an effort to do good work and get things right so, having purchased Reinhold Mecking's Bessamatic repair CD a few months back I checked the images in that for guidance (different model shutter, I know, but it was all I had at the time). I won't reproduce Reinhold's images, because of copyright, but, one of them clearly shows the pinion of a Bessamatic shutter installed the same tooth set as the Rolleicord example in my own photograph.

Because I have two Bessamatics myself (the original, and a later Bessamatic CS) and they will need some attention soon, I would also be very grateful if anyone could offer any specific advice regarding whether the pinion is set the same or differently to the Rollei's shutter.

For what it is worth, I re-assembled both Rolleicord Vs with the pinion set as per my photograph above, and both seem to work fine at all speeds including bulb, all speeds sound and look in the ballpark, as it were. But, I also have a Rolleicord Va which has sticking slow speeds which I will get onto in the next few days, and, naturally, I would prefer to assemble the shutter correctly!

If any of the helpful members of this site have any general comments to make about either of these shutters they would also be gratefully received. Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers,
Brett

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 144

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This pinion is not related to spring strength or shutter speed. Its only objective is to wind the spring past the main catch, so that it locks. Compur made these pinions with tabs in several sizes, so that you had to pick one that reliably brings the main spring to lock at the cocking lever position that at the same time locks the activator ring and (AFAIR) still one more catch.

Pinion off by one tooth (assuming it was the right size to start with) will not affect shutter speed, but may lead to shutter main spring not locking or locking early.

It could be so, that the original pinion's tab was worn to the point that main spring wasn't reliably catching when tensioning the shutter, and instead of replacing it some serviceman just advanced it one tooth. It's a crude fix, but if you have on new spares you don't really have choice. Assemble it the right way around and test the cocking action. Critical is when you move the cocking lever not all the way, but just till the 'click'. There actually three 'clicks' that have to happen and thickness of this pinion's tab / position of this pinion moves one of them around. You want all of them click at once.

Marek

Brett
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent information there Marek, thanks very much for that. If the position of the pinion is not optimal, might that encourage the shutter to open during the tensioning process, particularly if the lever is not moved all the way? I've had this occur a few times with the camera before I adjusted it. This was never a problem if the shutter was tensioned fully, however it would be nice to ensure it cannot occur again, and I previously desired to better understand the issue as and when it occurred, so your comments above are doubly helpful.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response, it's very much appreciated.
Brett

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have the Mecking CD which is invalueable to me for reference.
I must say that with respect to the Bessamatic application the pinion MUST be in the correct position as shown on the CD to work properly as it affects many more functions down the line with respect to timing etc.The picture at item # 11 on shutter reassembly is correct for the Bessamatic but the rack on your camera is a little different so I am not sure how that would relate to what you have there.Hopefully you can transpose what you know for sure to what you are not sure of successfully.There are also many things that the CD does not cover which have to be learned by trial and error when reassembling the camera.
I might be able to help you when you start your Bessamatic CLA,there are a few not so obvious things that will make your life easier.Ron G

Brett
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron,
you read my mind, as of course the Bessamatic has a lot more things happening than a TLR, the timing of which will affect everything else, so...the significance of the pinion position had not gone un-noted. Thanks for the heads up though.

The Rollei shutter of course is not the same unit, but what threw a curve ball was the fact that when I opened it up the pinion was in the same position s the Bessamatic one. I've noted in the SC repair manual that they are explicit about the first pinion tooth engaging with the first tooth gap for the Rollei's shutter.In future I'll take the option to test this aspect of the shutter functionality and install accordingly, Marek's point regarding parts is well made and I guess it is the end result that matters most.

I would like to find the time to tackle both the Bessamatics very soon. I've put around 20 films through the early one which is in wonderful external condition with a really good meter. But the shutter started hanging up a couple of months ago. The shutter itself is fine, because a nudge on the aperture control levers will keep things moving and, when it does trip, all speeds are OK. Obviously somewhere else in that complicated train of levers and gears, a little excess friction has developed, because it will function correctly, albeit intermittently. I note that viewed through the film rails, whilst the lens stops down correctly when "helped", it could actuate a bit quicker compared to other examples. I may be lucky and find that removal and cleaning of the front rings will assist (I've done this for my other camera and correctly reinstalled). I'll keep you posted. It's my favourite 35mm camera, and I have the 135 Super Dynarex for it as well as the closer focussing Color Skopar 2.8 and a set of Focars, so I would really like to get it going, I love using it.

The other is a later Bessamatic CS with Color Skopar X in immaculate cosmetic condition. This mechanism partially functions, however the shutter will not complete, so I expect to delve deeper into it. However as I acquired it for around AUD $150.00 with the standard Color Skopar X lens, two additional Super Dynarex 135s and a few more accessories (polarizer, filter holder etc) I thought it a good purchase all the same. TTL would be nice to have, though, so I'd be pleased to get both units back into full working order. If I can get them going well, I'll start looking for a Contaflex - I really like leaf shutters. Sorry for the long post.
Many Thanks for your comments and offer of help.
Brett

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You really know how to get a guy drooling there Brett!!!Ron G

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration