Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Suitable adhesives? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Suitable adhesives? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_8
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_8

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on adhesives? In particular a couple things...

1) The right kind of lacquer or glue or varnish to stake or secure screws? I was thinking of using ( and have on other things) nail varnish. Is this sensible?
2) I have an Olympus 35RC that I am trying to fix. One of the problems is that the metal plate which fits to the back of the film speed selector (with the apertures for the CdS/LDR and for the detent ball) has detached from the plastic dial that selects the film speed. What would be the best (available in the UK) adhesive to stick the two parts back together?

Hope you can help.
Thanks.

Mike

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1099

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. I use nail varnish, it seems to have a bit more strength than regular enamel (but I use that too sometimes).

2. I can't even recall just what the 35RC's ASA dial looked like, but I generally use contact cement for things like this. Pliobond is one brand, there are numerous others, they're all pretty similar: rubber based, tacky, you apply it to both parts, wait for it to dry a bit and then press them together.

Mike_8
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_8

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply Rick. In the end I used UHU Extra to re-attach the metal plate to the selector. UHU contains a solvent that softens the plastic of the selector pretty quickly. As a result I decided not to use it to glue the two halves of the outer film speed / sensor assembly back together or it would have been really well stuck together, if not welded, and I doubt it would ever come apart again. In the end I went for Evostik Impact Adhesive. A little test on a hidden portion of the assembly showed it wasnt as agressive at dissolving the plastic. It is all back together again now and seems to work ok.

As an aside(s)

1) I lost, despite taking great care not to, the tiny detent ball from the assembly. A quick search of the web found http://www.simplybearings.co.uk/ who do various very small ball bearings at reasonable prices and delivered the required size next day in the post. No connection with them other than a happy customer ;)

2) I have drawn up an electrical schematic of the Olympus 35 RC Light Meter Circuit if anyone is interested.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 151

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any light meter schematics are most welcome here!
Either post a link or send me a PM.

Marek

http://lwow.home.pl/photoblog/index.php/on-cds-meters/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration