Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 35 gx shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica 35 gx shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 137

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received an all black 35 gx from an auction, that was advertised as not working. That sounded like a challenge too interesting to pass up for $25.

I've brought it back to almost usable condition, except that the shutter only fires at the same speed of about 6 to 7 seconds, independent of the aperture and light conditions. The exposure indicator that points to the left (orange arrow) always lights up, indicating that the camera thinks it will underexpose.

I have not yet taken the lens apart, since I am waiting for my new spanner wrench from micro-tools. In the meantime, other than a dead meter cell what could be the culprit. Has anybody seen a similar problem before?

Thanks - Markus

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 138

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I've poked around a bit and played with my Electro 35 GSN, to see how it behaves when the light meter is totally blocked. Presumably, it should behave similarly to my GX, if it was true that its meter cell is dead. However, there is a difference. Blocking the meter on the GSN yields differing exposure times for different aperture settings, which is different from the symptoms that my GX exhibits. Perhaps there is hope and the meter cell on my GX is not dead after all.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 139

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I opened it up, today, and it appears that the meter cell is unresponsive to light. It always has a resistance of around 5 kOhm. When I short the circuit across the meter cell and release the shutter, it sounds like it fires at 1/500 sec.

I suppose that means the meter cell is dead. Does anybody know where to source a replacement?

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marcus, I think that your analysis is correct. You can try Don Marr at Natcam in Oregon for spares. Otherwise pirate a clunker. Maybe you can help with my Electro GSN problem. The electronics is 100% but the shutter just will not operate. Any ideas ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration