Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Trip 35 -- red flag problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus Trip 35 -- red flag problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Renegatus
Tinkerer
Username: Renegatus

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello there,

I recently acquired a second Trip 35 and discovered that it would fire in any situation. In pitch black, the red flag will still not pop up, and I can technically shoot whenever I want.

So, I took the top of and checked the action of the meter needle, and it responded as you would expect. Full swinging and fully functional, no problems there. However, there is still the problem of the red flag not popping up when the meter registers a dark environment. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!
Steve.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 307

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you go over to the Trip 35 group on Flickr, red flag woes are a regular topic, and links to a site with dismantling instructions regularly surface. It shouldn't take much saerching to find one (and we don't bite).

My 2p: Have you checked that it's set on "A"? Don't laugh - done it myself... If it's not on A, you won't get a red flag.

Otherwise, try a little naphtha/lighter fuel on the pivot at the end of the arm the red flag is on - I had one with a duff flag that was fixed by doing that. It IS possible that you selenium cell is knackered, but Trips seem to be pretty robust in the cell department.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 107

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just another suggestion...make sure the aperture blades are opening as you press the shutter button. If they are stuck, they may not open enough to trigger the red flag. I am currently working on a Pen EE2 that has this problem.
Flushing with lighter fluid seems to be loosening things up.

Renegatus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian -- I'm way ahead of you! http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympustrip35/discuss/72157624529478816/

Unfortunately, the most advice people give on that board is a link to the aperture blade repair manual. And yes, the Trip is definitely set on "A".

The cell is working, if you read my post I did state that. I guess it must be to do with the aperture blades then, as they aren't firing. Should I follow that long procedure and clean them then?

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 308

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah yes, I guess Google must throw us up in the first few hits when you look for Trips! And you are quite right, you did state that the needle was working as it should, ergo the cell is. *pink face*

If the blades aren't opening, then I'm afraid you will need to get into the camera. The instructions are good and clear, but make sure you have a good quality set of small screwdrives (JIS if you can get them) as the screws are small and tight, and you need to be careful not to lunch the heads. It's not too bad - you can do it in under an hour no problems - just take care!

Renegatus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I was a bit of a regular for that group, I suppose I mostly post my stuff to the trip35.net group though. I've been featured on that blog many times.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to follow those instructions! They are very clear but, by 'eck, it's a fiddly process. Plus, I'm longsighted and my glasses for close work are broken, it'll be 2 hours of going cross-eyed! Thanks for your help Adrian and Wayne, I'll keep you posted.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 175

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.
Done this job, and although it is fiddly, it requires minimum dismantling of the camera. Could be the small spring behind the lens which is known to go PING, so no red flag. This was all a long time ago, but I recall taking the top off and that is it. Not much space to work in, & of course you will require a suitable spring. If you are lucky the break will be at one end, and you can fashion a new end. Tension will of course be slightly increased if you do this. Or if you don't mind, just use the camera as it is. The flag was always surperfluous in my opinion, since it only told you what your own eyes can tell you.

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 37

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am speaking from memory (never a good idea, in my case) but I recall two or three thin metal plates with 'combs'that are trapped by/escape the meter-needle, and which are in virtual/actual sliding-contact. I have revived red-flags in the past by gently levering these plates apart (I believe Engineers call it 'setting')and also by applying a little graphite to the sliding surfaces.

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to
http://www.thermojetstove.com/Trip35/
The fix is described in detail there.

Drummer
Tinkerer
Username: Drummer

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have taken the lens off to take a look at the shutter arrangement and now the aperture ring on the back side of the lens arrangement (where the 'A' is) won't click as you change it's position. It still does work if you put it on'A' but the aperture ring is really loose, have I lost something or can it be fixed.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 313

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you've lost the very small ball bearing that drops into the click stops. Sounds as though you didn't notice it fall - don't hoover, for heavens' sake, but see if you can find a magnet and run it over the floor.

Toddhenry
Tinkerer
Username: Toddhenry

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have an Olympus Trip 35 that seems to have the issue with the red flag/ no shoot system. Will the red flag come up even if film is not in the camera? I would really like to fix it, where can I get a replacement spring? Or, does anyone know somewhere I could send the camera to be fixed?

Thanks!

Whiteadi
Tinkerer
Username: Whiteadi

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I just got the film for my "new" trip.

I loaded the film, BW Kodak 400 CN, set the camera to ASA 400, auto: "A", and tried it, the red flag comes up, it was (10 minutes ago :-) ) = it is a not so bright morning but I would say enough light, I tried it indoor, outdoor (backyard), the red flag comes, I put it to 2.8 and allowed me to fire, i wind the film and try again with "A", the red flag comes, I put it again to 2.8 and took a shot, wind, took another, now it shows 2 as for how many pictures I took, but back on "A" the entire red flag shows when pressed even at half. It seems that always comes with "A". The blades are opening when press the shutter.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
(other)Adrian

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 176

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the light meter in your camera may not working properly. It is not responding to the amount of light and therefore it assumes the light levels are too low.
I would test this again with a very bright light source. Move the camera very close to a bright lamp and see if the red flag still comes up. If so, then it may be the selenium cell, or a broken electrical connection. If it doesn't come up, then the cell is sensing the light, but reading low.
As far as the "2.8" setting, from what you described, it is operating as it should. The aperture settings are for use with flash. I think the camera defaults to a shutter speed of 1/60th or 1/250th second based on light levels. The red flag will not come up when not on "A".
Of course, if the metering circuit is faulty, your camera will probably always fire at 1/60th when in flash mode.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration