Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Robot II Shutter Speeds Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Robot II Shutter Speeds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Feldman (Rafeldman)
Tinkerer
Username: Rafeldman

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2022 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I recently got a late-model Robot II (ca. 1950) in good outward condition. When I got it, the shutter speed dial moved stiffly and the shutter fired at the same fairly fast speed for all settings.

Using the instructions at https://www.micklem.com/photo/robot.html, I disassembled it down to the clockwork (illustrations 15-19 in the link), soaked it for about half an hour in denatured alcohol, worked the linkages, dried it, and lubed it with Moebius #8000. It was clean looking before the soak, but a number of linkages were not moving smoothly. After lubing, all of the linkages I could see and move looked OK. However, after reassembly, the only improvement is that Bulb works -- all of the other speeds are the same. Any suggestions as to what I should do now? Are there any particular points in the clockwork that I should look at again? I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner, so I must depend on soaking to clean the movement.
Pre-2013 Username: r_a_feldman
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Ron (Paul_ron)
VIP
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 310

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2022 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow nice camera. Ive never seen one. thanks for the link.

insterad of using alcohol try using white gas? the coleman camping fuel. Some peopole us lighter fluid, aka naptha. THese fluids dry clean n do a good job of disolving oil n grease. BUT you have to do a few good washes to be sure you got it all out... but be careful with shutter baldes n aperture blades, on some cameras they are made of paper or may be effected by the cleaners.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration