Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar Series 1 repair manuals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vivitar Series 1 repair manuals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 213

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The place to go for free factory repair manuals of some Kiron and Vivitar Series 1 lenses is www.boggys.co.uk. The manual for the S1 70-210mm zoom, f3.5 version, looks good.
Does anybody have or can point me in the right direction for the full repair manual on the S1 24-48mm f3.8 zoom??
Almost every one of these zooms has oiled up blades, but I read somewhere that the diaphragm unit is part of the rear lens group assembly and separating the two parts will ruin the factory settings. True or false?

Will_inoue
Tinkerer
Username: Will_inoue

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link - excellent site. Sorry I can't help with your lens however.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 59

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a S1 24-48 off eBay last year, and it had this problem. It is Canon FD mount, and yes you do approach it from the rear. Dealing with the FD mount may be trickier than others -- I don't know. But I was able to remove the rear lens group and access the blades. Cleaned them with naphtha and Q-tips repeatedly until the aperture functioned normally.

It actually wasn't as difficult a repair as some other zooms I've come across. I think this is mostly due to the fact that it is a 2-ring zoom.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 214

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that info. Mine is also an FD mount, I'm reasonably familiar with the old breech lock system.
The schematics I have appear to show both the rear lens assembly and the diaphragm unit held to the sliding/zooming component by 3 flat head screws that are just visible when looking through the front of the lens. So I assumed that unscrewing the front glass would be the only option.
Does the rear cell unscrew directly from the barrel or is it retained in some other way? If it is fastened as a panel by edge screws, removal could disturb the centering of the cell with respect to the front cell.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 63

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um, well, it's been about a year since I dismantled mine, and I didn't take notes on dismantling it. So I'm a bit hazy on what I actually did now. But as I recall it was pretty evident what I had to do to reach the iris blades. Wish I could be more specific. I probably had to use a lens spanner to remove the rear element group.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration