Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic E Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Hi-Matic E « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Willism
Tinkerer
Username: Willism

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

My father gave me this camera when I was about 13 (I'm 20 now) and I used it for a couple years and it got put into a closet until now. It still looks brand new, but it is having a few issues. The button to take a picture no longer works unless i bring my finger down on it fast and with a bit of strength. When i just push on the button as someone normally would, it just stops short. When pushing it down casually, the shutter moves a bit as well.

Can you guys please give me feedback on how to proceed to get this camera working again. I have next to nothing available to spend on it at the moment, but i would like to as soon as i can. My father bought this camera new when it came out in the 70's and I would like to get it working for me to use.

Im pretty good with electronics and soldering, would it be possible to undertake this myself? If not, who are some reputable online stores/shops that can repair it relatively cheap?

Thank you for your time

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 42

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello WillisM

Don't know this camera, but it seems likely that the batteries are dead. This camera is not fully mechanical and needs batteries to operate.

I suggest you check this out before attempting to take it apart!

Good luck.

Edward.

Willism
Tinkerer
Username: Willism

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Edward,

I just took out the batteries and they were covered in the dried acid, so im thinking your right. I hope i can find them online somewhere, Ive never seen batteries such as these.

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will need to clean the battery compartment, especially the contacts. You can buy contact cleaner from electronics shops, such as Tandy.

I'm not sure if batteries are still available for this camera. Someone else here might be able to suggest a suitable replacement.

Whatever you do, don't force anything!

Cheers. Edward.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 115

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just finished "refurbishing" 2 Hi Matic Es.
The original mercury batteries for this camera are no longer available (at least in my part of the world). Suitable replacements are 2 hearing aid batteries (1.4v). These are not long lasting, but will work fine. You will need to add a spacer of some sort to the battery compartment, as the new batteries are much smaller than the original.
Another option is the Wein cell battery. These are larger (you will still need a spacer), but will last longer. They are also much more expensive.
If the new batteries do not help, you may have the typical corrosion inside the camera, a much more serious problem.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a place in England that makes an adapter that allows you to use 675 hearing aid batteries, which are CHEAP and almost the same voltage:

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mr52_adapter.htm

If you're like me, a photo of the adapter is good enough for me to figure out how to make my own :-)

Last time I bought some of these 675 hearing aid batteries, I paid about $6 for six, and in larger quantities, they're even cheaper. I'm using them in a couple old Canon SLRs, and 9 months and counting, they're still working fine.

Incidentally, I just use a bit of 18 gauge wire snugged into the bottom of the battery compartment to get the 675s to sit right in my Canons. For your Minolta, you'll need to come up with a sleeve of some sort. Aluminum foil wrapped around the batteries enough times should work.

Zuikopath
Tinkerer
Username: Zuikopath

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Distilled (clear) vinegar is one of the best things for cleaning out a battery compartment from leaked gunge - use it on cotton buds (Q-Tips).

I use 675 Zinc Air batteries for any application where a 1.35v mercury battery is required and they work fine.
I usually use a small rubber O-ring to take up the extra space in the battery compartment.

Good luck.

Ludwigvan66
Tinkerer
Username: Ludwigvan66

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love my Hi-Matic E. Got mine for $10 at a pawn shop about 15 years ago, and was told it didn't work, but I bought it anyway. Figured I'd have a nice little display piece if nothing else, which is initially what I thought I had, until recently. Found out on the web about the battery issues, corrosion, wiring, etc. Sure enough, after taking the bottom plate off, I found a broken wire from the battery chamber. Stripped, tinned, and resoldered wire, put in a couple 1.4v zinc-air batteries, and bam..........the battery check light came on, faintly.

The first roll of film I took with it actually came out really well, but I was always worried that the exposure system might be comprimised due to the check light not really coming on. After changing the battery to a single 3v Lithium, CR1/EN, and using a brass dummy slug on the other side, I found that not only does the check battery light come on fully, but the lights in the viewfinder operate properly now as well. Proper exposures are maintained by setting the ASA to half of box speed, likely due to the higher voltage, but EVERY single frame on my last roll was spot on!

I love this little camera. I should be posting new images to Flickr soon, as I'm scanning them tomorrow.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 281

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ludwig, the higher voltage of the CR1/EN is overcoming the higher resistance of the corroded wire from the battery compartment. The corrosion will run all the way up the wire to it's other end, and who knows where from that point. If you replace the wire completely, you should be able to use the 675's again, at the proper ISO setting.

PF

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 181

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Hi-Matic E, Hi-Matic F, and Fujica GeR, all of which were made to run on the same type of battery.

I use 3 SR44 batteries in them, and get good exposures. LR44 batteries work, too.

A few minutes with a scissors, and a bit of paper and/or plastic, and small steel washers, and you can configure an adapter.

Joels23
Tinkerer
Username: Joels23

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi guys, i got the same problem with the shutters. i got new batteries inside and i can see the shutters barely moving when i trigger the shutter release button. i have been applying ronsonol for a few dyas and still no results. any other tips that you guys can share with me to make this thing to work again? thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration