Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord Xenar lens problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord Xenar lens problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Emtor
Tinkerer
Username: Emtor

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just purchased two Rolleicords. One Rolleicord V and one Rolleicord III, both having Xenar 3,5 lenses. Both cameras had stuck shutters which have been cleaned and both shutters are now working very well.
The rolleicord III Xenar lens suddenly started acting very strange. The front element started to develop fog on the inside. Before taking the front element off it seemed OK, but I noticed a slight haze when putting it in place after cleaning the shutter. While looking at it the hazing became worse in a matter of minutes, and after a short time I could clearly see vapour of some kind condensing inside the front element.
The Xenar lens has a ring that evidently holds the front lens in place, and this ring has two notches in it 180 degrees apart. I've tried to unscrew the ring by placing a screwdriver in one of the notches and tapping gently with a hammer but it won't move at all. The rear lens seems to be glued in place, so removing the front lens seems to be my only option. Any hints on how to remove this ring? Also, has anyone experienced sudden fogging of a lens as described above?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 116

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had the experience of the sudden fogging as you describe. It seems to be a result of evaporating solvents used to clean the shutter. I've also seen this with moisture from hands. In my case the fogging went away by itself I believe.
As far as removing the front element, don't use a regular screwdriver...you're asking for trouble. You will need a proper lens spanner that engages both slots at the same time. If you don't want to buy one, you could make a tool out of sheet metal. I have also heard of individuals using an old set of calipers to do the same task.

Emtor
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll make a lens spanner next time I need to open it,-if need be. However, I did get it loose by (I'll probably deserve the death penalty for how I did it), by gently heating the outer shell with a very small propane torch. The ring came loose instantly. The Rolleicord V on the other hand shows no sign of fogging. Also the model V has no ring to secure the front element, so if it starts to fog too I'll have to figure out how to open it.

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fogging like that comes from solvents.

I bought a lens like that once. Thought it was hopeless. Left it on the shelf. Came back to it a month later. Astonished that it was perfectly clear.

Also, I have made lenses fog up by using two or more chemicals mixed and it sort of "cools" the lens so it fogs but it clears up without defect in a while.

Emtor
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My problem was that the fogging was not due to water vapour, but vapour from 5-56 after spraying the shutter generously to see if it would work at all. And that it did, like a charm.
Later I flushed the shutter with lighter fluid and wiped the shutter and diaphragm blades till they were bone dry. Then I lightly lubricated the gears and all friction surfaces with 5-56.
The fogging has not returned so far.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration