Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb "twang" Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb "twang" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 117

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just aquired a couple of FTb bodies. They work perfectly, but both make a very distinctive and springy "twang" sound at the end of the shutter sequence. I've determined that it is coming from the armature that opens the aperture.
Is this normal for this camera? If so, I find it quite annoying and "cheap" sounding.
I'm familiar with the Canon "squeek" but not the "twang".
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 217

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does sound 'cheap', but is perfectly normal, although some of the earlier models don't produce the sound quite as much as the later ones. It is caused by vibration of the coiled spring which keeps the aperture lever taut. The shutter is closed and the mirror down when the sound is heard so it has no effect on exposure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration