Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 100 - Rectangular long pi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta SRT 100 - Rectangular long piece on focusing screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jenjan579
Tinkerer
Username: Jenjan579

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a Minolta SRT 100 on eBay just for fun. When I looked through the finder eyepiece, I saw a long rectangular piece (looks like a piece of ribbon), across the screen.. it seems to be stuck on the focusing screen. It looks like this: http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj464/jennyho103/100_2455.jpg

What happened? And is this something that I can fix myself, or do I have to bring it to a camera repair shop?

Thank you!

edit: And I also want to ask if this will affect my pictures (will my pictures also have a black bar across)? Thanks!

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like your mirror bumper has come loose and stuck to your focal screen. You should be able to carefully remove it with a pair of plastic tweezers after taking the lens off, being very careful not to damage the focal screen. Most old Japanese cameras need to have these bumpers replaced, as well as the foam light seals on the back of the camera. this is fairly easy to do, just follow the instructions outlined here:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

The black bar will not show in your photos, but I would not use the camera until you fix this problem. If that gunky seal migrates to your shutter, you will have some serious problems.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 218

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 03:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure that isn't a piece of bumper or sealant. From its position and shape I guess it is part of the positioning plate for the shutter speed scale.

Jenjan579
Tinkerer
Username: Jenjan579

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not stuck to the focusing screen, but it seems to be trapped inside it (when I take the lenses off and look inside underneath).

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 219

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It will be necessary to take off the top cover and lift the prism. This is a bit daunting for a newbie, but it is not difficult as long as you take your time. A camera repair shop will do it in half an hour but will charge more than you paid for the camera.

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops. But my advice regarding the light seals still stands.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration