Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MAT 124 G Focus Knob Broken Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica MAT 124 G Focus Knob Broken « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hammy156
Tinkerer
Username: Hammy156

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,
I borrowed a Yashica MAT 124G from a family friend, and within half an hour of using it, the focus knob became loose and when I tried to tighten it, it fell off. The nut inside the knob seems to have came loose but I can't figure out how to remove the casing so that I can get inside and fix it back into place.
I checked some other threads on here relating to other Yashica MAT models but none refered to this problem for this specific model (that I could find anyway).
The other models refer to spanner holes on the face of the bottom of the focus knob that allow the knob to be unscrewed and the nut reaffixed, but this does not seem to be the case for this model, as far as I can tell.
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to solve this problem, or will I have to take it to an expert to get fixed?

Thanks a lot,
Jonathan

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 120

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are different focussing knobs depending on how old the camera is. I have one that is plastic and one that is metal and they both have different ways of tightening onto the shaft.
Have you removed the film reminder plate from the knob? It is glued on.

Hammy156
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found the repair manual here:
http://www.photovintage.it/manuali%20vari/Yashica%20MAT%20124%20G%20Manual%20Rep air.pdf
However, I don't know how to remove the top of the cap, simply by using a small flat headed screwdriver to pry it open?
also, once I get in, am I to reaffix the nut with glue or does it just screw onto the shaft?

If you have any help it would be much appreciated?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, remove the "indicator cap fixer" with a spanner or home made tool. It threads off. Make sure you engage both notches at the same time to prevent slipping.
Next, all parts up to the "indicator plate" should come out easily.
The indicator plate is glued on and can be removed with a small screwdriver or pin.
Under the indicator plate you will see the nut.
This is where things may be different depending on your camera. The diagram looks like the plastic knob. Mine was similar, except that I don't recall the spring washer. I found it difficult to tighten the nut because there wasn't much room between the faces of the nut and the plastic knob. I managed to use some forceps to grip the nut and tighten it.
On the other example I have seen, the knob was metal and made in two parts. There was room to get a socket around the nut to tighten it.
You may have to use a small screwdriver to tighten the nut a little at a time if you can't get a proper tool to fit.

Hammy156
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, that's brilliant, managed to get into the thing. One more thing, how do I tighten the nut in such a way that the focusing in correct? I've reattched the knob and I think I should be able to focus closer, I can't seem to get anything from 0 - 1.5 metres in focus? I can't get my head around how to tighten the nut to ensure the focusing is correct once reattached.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 122

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The closest that the camera will focus is about 1 metre. Anything less will not focus.
Not to get too personal here, but is your knob one piece of plastic or two?
If it is two pieces, there should be a couple of small screws on the inside for fine adjustments to the focus. Focus the camera at a distant object and set the knob to infinity. If your knob is in two pieces, you can tighten the nut and then loosen the two small screws and rotate the scale to the infinity mark.
If you have a one piece knob, you will have to hold it while tightening down the main nut and making sure you are still at infinity.
If you have it focussed at the infinity mark, all other distances should fall into place.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration