Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica D - Film frame counter & swap... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica D - Film frame counter & swap in different back? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will_frost
Tinkerer
Username: Will_frost

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am the proud owner of a new (to me) Yashica D! I shot my first roll without incident. Except for a couple double exposures, which led me to practice using it empty. So, on my second roll of film, the film frame counter failed to engage. I loaded, lined up the arrows, and didn't check to see if the little window had advanced from the little arrow, to the little circle, to the number one. Two shot later, after hearing the telltale flap-flap of a the end of the roll, I realized what had happened.

I fiddled with the mechanism - poking the pin that senses if the door is closed*, loading and shooting the test roll over and over, pushing on the film advance button while turning the knob, pulling a little bit. You get the idea.

Then, magically, it started working again!

Two questions:
1. Is this normal?

2. Can I swap the film back from a Yashica A directly on the back, if this happens again and I can't fix it? (The A has a little red window for seeing the frame numbers.)

Will Frost

*the one attached to the reverse lever on the Yashica D exploded diagram, as shown on p6.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 160

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

9 out of 10 these problems are related to dried up lubricants in film advance mechanics. Sure cure is a *true* CLA (i,e, take it APART, get it CLEAN and re-lubricate it. You may skip adjustment here now).
It is unlikely that swapping backs will help, though you might circumvent the problem as you suggested. However, if lube dried in the film counter it's unlikely shutter would run well either...

Marek

Will_frost
Tinkerer
Username: Will_frost

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've swapped backs, and it seems to work.

Swapping backs is no problem at all: First, unlock the bottom, then you only need to take off one side of the hinge, which is two flathead screws on the Yashica A, and three phillips head screws on the D. Swap backs, re-insert screws, and you are done. Probably the easiest repair you could ever ask for.

The Yashica A has a little red frame number window, (with movable cover) and it showed me quite clearly that the film counter was engaging before the start of the roll, and in fact was slightly behind the numbers at the beginning, and slightly ahead at the end. End result: nine shots on 120, with the first one sometimes showing the marks from the tape that holds the film on the roll.

I have not yet tested the new back for alignment or tightness.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration