Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Univex mercury 2 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Univex mercury 2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Irun4thecrown
Tinkerer
Username: Irun4thecrown

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so i picked up a mercury 2 for a decent price and then realized that the focus doesn't work (yah duh moment there). The ring that adjusts it wont turn at all. I cant remove the plate on the inside of the back of the camera for some reason it just doesn't want to come out. Any ideas on how to fix?

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 30

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

saturate the focus mount with lighter fluid. let it soak. it will move again. the lens is removable/interchangeable. you may want to remove it while you work.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 236

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Mercury II was also very stiff when I got it, and barely moved. The focus thread is pretty simple but seems to be vulnerable to corrosion and sticking. Do the lighter fluid and it should eventually come to life.

Stereopost
Tinkerer
Username: Stereopost

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just did the stuck focus repair on one of my Mercury IIs; I had to use Kroil to loosen it, then cleaned it with lighter fluid and compressed air computer cleaner. I removed the lens first, of course. When I was working on it, the knob on the focusing ring was loose, then popped off. It is only press-riveted in, so I took it to my shop and used a punch to re-rivet it. A simple job, but a part that would be easy to lose in the field. If yours is loose, I would recommend fixing it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration