Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ES II Mirror issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax ES II Mirror issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joewilson
Tinkerer
Username: Joewilson

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Pentax ES II in mostly working condition, the light meter works and the times seem to be accurate, however the focus mirror likes to lock up on me, it will look up, and then if i cock and shoot again it will come back down. I've got fresh batteries in it so i dont think that is the issue.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 127

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make sure the foam that cushions the mirror (when it flips up) is not sticky.
Sometimes the old foam causes the mirror to stay in the up position.

Dmh
Tinkerer
Username: Dmh

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror cushion is certainly the first thing to check.

If it's not the mirror cushion, this anecdote may help. I had a mirror-return issue on a Spotmatic and fixed it by polishing and lightly lubricating a mechanism in the base of the camera. Slight tarnishing on the surface of the metal had caused friction that intermittently prevented the mirror from completing its cycle.

If you find that your mirror cushion is working properly, let us know and I'll post a picture of the mechanism concerned.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an identical problem, but only when I took my ESII out in cold weather. Somewhere on the web I found a reference to it (I think the originator was French) and he suggested that the solution was as simple as a drop of light oil on the spindle of a certain gear in the base of the camera. The gear in question is as far as I remember the largest diameter one there and is dark grey/black in colour on a silver shaft. With the ESII of course it's necessary to remove the circuit board to access the mechanics, but that's easy enough. A single drop of oil sorted my problem.

Joewilson
Tinkerer
Username: Joewilson

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror foam is pretty much entirely deteriorated, and isn't really stick or anything. I tried cleaning off what was left of it and testing again but it didn't seem to have much affect, perhaps new foam there would help?

Dmh: Any sort of advice or pictures would be most appreciated, i'm a novice when it comes to repairing cameras but i'de really like to learn more.

Steve: Thanks, i actually took a look inside the bottom after reading Dmh's response and didn't see much mechanical so i will definitely try to get under the electronics there and take a better look.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration