Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Light seal material, where to buy? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Light seal material, where to buy? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bongoclown
Tinkerer
Username: Bongoclown

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey. I tried to search through the forum but could not find any suitable information (might just be blind though). I'm looking to buy some light seal material as used in the instructions on this site. I am from Sweden and have failed utterly in finding anything domestically, most places just treat me like I'm an idiot for working with a 30 year old camera before trying to sell me a digital compact.

So, does anyone know where I could order this online, internationally?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 817

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search the archive for Jon Goodman or click on the Articles button at the top of page to see Jon's excellent article on replacing light seals. He sells via eBay (or did) using the name 'Intersplice', no doubt he or someone will correct me if this is no longer the case.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 89

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have arts-and-crafts stores in Sweden? In the US there is a 2mm thick foam material that is sold in squares, called "Foamies". Very inexpensive and works well.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 149

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search ebay. There's several people selling either pre cut seals or just the material. I use pilgrim18 in the UK who will supply just what you ask for if you contact him or buy one of his kits.

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Goodman is still actively selling on ebay, I just bought seals for a Hi-Matic 9 from him last week. I have also bought seal kits from another ebay seller, "camerasealkitsandmore" who offers free shipping internationally. I prefer John Goodman's kit, he also supplies illustrated, camera-specific instructions, while the other seller only provides generic instructions, but more tools (tweezer, x-acto blade, Q-tipes and cleaning pads).

Interslice (John Goodman)

Camera seal kits and More

Nico
Tinkerer
Username: Nico

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a lot of different materials you can perfectly use, depending on what kind of light seal you need for a particular camera. But in general terms, I can recommend black cotton yarn for the narrow light traps were the back door close. In fact, many old fine cameras came with that kind of seal from factory, it is not that crafty. And for the big one that covers the side of the door, empty film canisters felt works very well.

By the way I couldn't find black yarn where I live (it is not too much to ask, isn't it?), so I dyed it with anilines.

Regards

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 217

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two common options.

First, try the seller on ebay who sells pre cut seals. However, as I have discovered in the last some months, he sells seals only for one camera in each "packing". AFAIR, it is $10 for each pack. He used to sell more with which it was possible to deal with many cameras with one pack. Not anymore, unfortunately :-(

The second option, which I have used in 5 or so cameras that I have salvaged (SLR + RF), is to use wool yarn as seals in the back door and crafts foam (black) for the mirror damper and for the seal on the hinge. For the hinge, one can even use black velvet (or velor) apparently, but I have never tried that.

Photo.net has a post by someone who has explained using wool and foam/velvet to replace seals from a camera. The materials that I bought (black wool and velvet/velor from a fabric store) and foam and glue from an arts and craft store, cost me a total of around $20$~25 or so. I have done 5 camera with it, and I have used only negligible materials yet! As a comparison, I would have spent $50 already on the kits on ebay, and would have needed to spend more to do more cameras.

At the end, the choice is yours. I bank towards materials which are acceptable replacements yet are economic and easily available. Beside, wool apparently has been used quite commonly in cine cameras and other older cameras without any problems associated with the synthetic foams that degrade over time (depending on humidity and temperature). If wool is good for those kind of professionals, it is good for me! :-)

Good luck.

Bongoclown
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome, I knew the answer would be beyond good. I read the guides and so forth but didn't find (might've missed completely) info on where to aquire the material.

Thanks everyone, going to order one of his kits for my Olympus OM-2n.

Will_inoue
Tinkerer
Username: Will_inoue

Post Number: 24

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Micro-Tools has the foam (aka "light baffle") in bulk still. Sooner or later you will need to do another camera or two :-). I'm sure they are a great convenience, but the precut kits are just too expensive (IMO).

Bongoclown
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll happily shell out $10 to seal up my camera, considering the cost of film and developing those $10 are but a drop in the sea. Right now there's only the OM-2n to worry about anyhow.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration