Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What is this "stuff" on the photo cel... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » What is this "stuff" on the photo cell? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 231

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I was examining my AE-1 last night as to why it is off by one stop (as shown in the viewfinder Av display), I noticed this strange buildup or white crusty substance on the SPC. I wonder if this is the cause of the one stop difference in the meter I am noticing (the camera wants to overexpose by 1 stop). Perhaps the substance is blocking some light from falling on the photo cell.

Is this stuff usual? If not, how do I remove it?

Photo1:
Canon AE-1 photo cell: some white powdery substance

Photo2:
Canon AE-1 photo cell: some white powdery substance

Thanks.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The white stuff on the photocell looks like residue from water/moisture damage. I would check the rest of the camera for small clues of moisture damage such as the white residue on the photo cell, small signs of rust on the top of screw heads. A very lightly moist Q-Tip should clean it off and hopefully it is not an indicator of a larger problem!

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 232

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, no relevant damage anywhere that I can see. Nothing in the light seal near it, nothing on the screws near it, the lens in front of the SPC and before the prism is also clean. The prism also doesn't have any tell tale signs of such elemental exposure.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 822

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has nothing to do with moisture/water damage. A very cursory examination by XRF / electron microscopy on the old firms equipment seems to indicate some form of chemical reaction between a plastciser and the substrate. Therefore as other people have found, a gentle clean or scrape with a wooden lollypop stick sharpened to a chisel edge soon solves the problem. There is more information in the Archive.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 239

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, looks like you are correct. I found the information in the archives last night in which, IIRC, you mentioned that you would be interested in examining it under an electron microscope of somebody could offer a camera body for examination. There was no conclusion in that post, however. In fact, you cited a few examples of your own in which you saw no exposure error even with this substance on the sensors. The post is this one:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6900/5420.html

In any case, I still went ahead and gently scrapped it off. It felt like a powdery substance and wasn't hard or brittle. It just came off upon gentle scratching.

The good news is that the exposure error is gone!

I suppose it depends on the extent of the buildup as to if there any affect on the exposure. The photos I have attached at least show in a qualitative manner what to expect with this amount substance.

On a related note, has anybody ever actually removed that little square glass covering (on which the substance forms) from the photocell to clean the glass? Is it hard to remove or are there any gotchas?

Thanks.
Regards.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 824

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never considered removing the glass covering and as I do not have a scrap one handy, I cannot state how it is fixed to the photocell - So cannot help you there. As cleaning in situ has always brought the meter back on examples that showed an error, I have never even considered removal. Just keep a lolly stick in the repair box.

Tylerwebb
Tinkerer
Username: Tylerwebb

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats great that yours is working now too! Good job

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 242

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn: Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, Tyler.

Man, it was fun! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration