Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi Matic 9 issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Hi Matic 9 issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sbrennan
Tinkerer
Username: Sbrennan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone just gave me a Minolta Hi Matic 9. This is my first rangefinder, and the first camera I've ever held that has issues.

First, I replaced the battery with a 1.35V that is supposed to be a substitute for the 1.3V mercury battery. However, when I moved the lens rings to the battery check position, the needle in the viewfinder stayed at the very top in the red and didn't move. Does this mean the light meter is broken?

Second, I figured, what the hey, I'll load some film in it anyways. The film advance lever feels weird...not like my manual SLRs. It feels kind of jerky...I'm not sure how to explain it. But it does advance the film. The shutter release, however, will not depress. I've tried everything and I can't get the button to push in. I moved all sorts of things around on the lens, etc. and it just won't work.

Does anyone know of any solutions to these two problems? I looked at the service repair manual, and most of it is confusing to me but I'm sure I could figure it out if I needed to. There is no camera repair facility where I live. Thanks a lot!!

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which battery are you using, the 1.4 volt zinc-air hearing aid battery? I had to but a small piece of tinfoil across the top of the battery in order to get a good contact with the smaller battery in mine.

I'm not sure how to unjam the shutter, hopefully someone else in this forum will have some suggestions.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 133

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same camera, and I have tried to reproduce the same situation as you have. The shutter release should depress at any time (frame not advanced, no battery, auto mode).
This sounds like something mechanical is jammed internally.
Is the self timer engaged and stuck? (at the "V")
This is the only time I could get the shutter button to be "jammed", when I tried to press the button with the self timer operating.

Sbrennan
Tinkerer
Username: Sbrennan

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I tried the tinfoil and the needle moves when I attempt to take a picture, but not in battery check mode.

The camera isn't stuck in self timer mode, or stuck anywhere else. I unjammed the release by pressing it and moving the film advance lever several times, but it re-jams after I move the lever again. When I am able to depress the release, the blades do not move, so I'm guessing it just needs to be cleaned or adjusted? The repair manual only tells me how to take it apart, etc., no real info on what to do to fix what.

Guitstik
Tinkerer
Username: Guitstik

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you moving the film advance lever all the way? This camera has a loOoooooOng stroke all the way to the front of the camera or you can advance in two steps. If the film advance is not advanced all the way the shutter will not fire.
I have the same problem with the light meter and i am trying to figure it out myself.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 112

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps you know already that the shutter function is completely unrelated to the electronic funtions. The shutter is completely mechanical.

The Hi-Matic 9 is the best of the mechanical hi-matic series, I think. But old leaf shutters are prone to sticking. If there is too much friction (caused by oil or dirt) then the blades cannot go through the complete cycle, which results in a "jammed" release (and sometimes advance lever).

A careful cleaning (NOT flooding!) with naptha will usually get the shutter working again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration