Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3.0 - Help Ne... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3.0 - Help Needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mfnut
Tinkerer
Username: Mfnut

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All and Warm Greetings

I have aquired a Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3.0 lens for the PK mount.
It is in very nice condition, glass is clear, and very little marks on it.
However, it does not focus to infinity, almost but not there.
I also feel it is clearly softer than my Vivitar 200mm f3.5 and Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm (komine) at similar apertures.

I have some experience in lens repair with the Takumar 50mm 1.4 and Vivitar 200mm f3.5.
However, I want to be very careful with this cult classic.
Do advise me if you have simiar experiences.
Many Thanks.

These are my observations :
At infinity focus....
The distance scale line up at the infinity mark
The front barrell also retracts fully

There is only 1 screw behind the hood, it does not look to be unscrewed before. However I do feel some play on the front barrell when I twist it... about 2-3mm left and right. The front element does turn with this free play.
There are 3 screws on the ring just below the grip... there are some paint loss which indicates they could be unscrewed before. There is also some play 1-2mm left and right on this ring.
There no marks on the screws on the mount... but they look sturdy enough to withstand unscrewing without leaving any marks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mfnut
Tinkerer
Username: Mfnut

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've solve the infinity problem.

I was about to take it apart when I realize the front retaining ring was a bit lose.
I tightened it and the front element went down ~1mm.

It now focus to infinity :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration