Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 24mm chrome: Fungus cleaned but... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon 24mm chrome: Fungus cleaned but lens etched? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Garye
Tinkerer
Username: Garye

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to the posts to this forum I was able to disassemble and clean out the fungus in the rear element of this chrome nosed Canon 24mm 2.8f lens. As it was my luck, the fungus was on the inside of the last of 3 lenses nested inside the rear element assembly. None of these were glued but the lenses were screwed together in two groups. I reassembled the rear element and the lens seems to accurately manual focus and function as it should.

But in re-examining the glass where the cloudy fungus was cleaned there appears a fine white hair-line mark that has 2 short branches off it. The fungus was wiped off with a peroxide/lens cleaner mixture, but I did not soak the glass.

Is this lens glass etched by fungus or should I re-clean the glass by soaking it in the peroxide solution? The mark is so fine that it probably wouldn't detract from the picture or prevent me from using the lens. But I've read so much about fungus etching that I thought I should ask the question.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration