Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA2 Shutter only fires on bat... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus XA2 Shutter only fires on battery check « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dangermouse
Tinkerer
Username: Dangermouse

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bought an Olympus XA2 with a 'stuck shutter' and put some SR44's in it...It seems to come on and the battery check shows a red light. However the shutter button doesn't work but pressing the release switch under the bottom panel only causes the shutter to fire on battery check mode.

The slide panel switch seems to be in good shape, as do most of the wires from what I can see.

I've got the repair manual but its a tad hard to follow, if anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great :-)

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 168

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I understand it right, when you put the switch on battery check and press shutter release, it releases, right? It should, and it should stay open till you move the switch back afair.

Does the shutter release with open back lid?

Does it release with back lid open AND lens shade open?

try all these, write result down, post.
I'm gonn abe back on monday

Marek

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"pressing the release switch under the bottom panel only causes the shutter to fire on battery check mode." Which release switch?

Dangermouse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 03:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies! At the moment, there seems to be a problem with the shutter release button, as it doesn't fire the shutter. To try and get to the bottom of the problem I opened the camera up and tried to fire the shutter by pressing the little lever here:

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/8287/herer.jpg

Which *sometimes* works. But it works every time if the camera is in battery check mode, holding the shutter open until you move the switch or take the batteries out.

Is it a brick or fixable?

Dangermouse
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, I ended up stripping it right down to examine the shutter mechanism and it fires fine but the hold circuit doesnt seem to work when in normal mode. It only works in battery check mode. All the solder joints and wires look fine. Could it be a bad circuitboard (in which case i'll give up!)?

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 169

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't take time to take advice, I don't see a point to post any.

Marek

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That release switch is purely mechanical- you have an electrical problem. I suspect it's the touch switch which , on the XA2 is different from the XA, and must be accessed after removing the top- DONT LOSE THE ROLLER! Dismantle, note relative positions, clean with contact cleaner or alcohol, reassemble and test .. if still not working, you've got more probs.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 237

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had a couple of these (one XA2 and one XA3) which only fired on self-timer. I was told by a repairman in the know that this is a bad chip, and not readily repairable. If it's firing poorly or intermittently or in some other way, I'd follow Olympfix's advice first. Shutter contact problems are very common on XA2's. You need to approach this in an orderly way and to make sure that you explain terms clearly.

Ayyitsnana
Tinkerer
Username: Ayyitsnana

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On my XA2, the the leaves of the shutter never open so the film I put in is never exposed. Everything else works fine. what should I do?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration