Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M strange shutter issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-M strange shutter issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Valkyrievf2x
Tinkerer
Username: Valkyrievf2x

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I have a Minolta XG-M that is behaving weirdly, to say the least. I'll set the aperture, compose, and when I press the shutter, nothing happens. In the viewfinder, the shutter speed goes from the selected value to the overexposure arrow, and the shutter doesn't fire. Sometimes, if the shutter is held long enough, it will fire after a couple of seconds. And yes, the self timer is not turned on. In fact, if I do this while the self timer is on, the timer light doesn't even blink (as though the shutter weren't pressed). I have tried it with motor drive both on and off, but it makes no difference. I have changed batteries, but it only worked for a couple of shots, then went back to the weird behavior.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first thing you want to do on any XG series Minolta camera is check the diaphragm control ring. This is a variable resistor that lives under the lens mounting bayonet. Remove the four screws holding the lens bayonet, then carefully lift off the black plastic diaphragm ring underneath. Be careful as is is connecting with a return spring. Generally, just cleaning the wiper contacts carefully and replacing the ring will fix the problem. Look at the gold contacts with a magnifier before cleaning them and you will most likely see deposits on them. After cleaning, they should be gold and shiny! Re-seat the ring on the camera body. It is easy to bend the contacts so be careful. This will fix many display and release problems with the Minolta XG cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration